Unknown plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Shadowxsx, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Shadowxsx

Shadowxsx New Member

I live in Southern Indiana

I have only seen the plant once and from what it looks like, the best description is a turnip. My dad always talked about what he knew as an "Indian radish" , when he told stories about this plant. The leaves almost look like a horseradish, the bulb has about the same skin color also, but it is round unlike horseradish.

Apparently my uncle put some in some food to "get" a guy who said he could eat anything hot, and the guy was in tears after. When we went out to the woods one day dad dug one up and gave it to someone and they said it was like eating a bag of needles. He said it was not hot like a pepper or nasal like horseradish, just pure pain.. So I assume it is not healthy to eat and I have no desire to find one and try it.

This was about 24 years ago and I have been wondering what it is for a very long time, when I think about it...

I know it is kind of vague and if no one has any idea on what it could even be, it is no biggie. I just happened to be thinking about it and decided to ask out of curiosity.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here are a couple places to try, if no one here is able to answer (I couldn't figure it out):

Contact the local foragers in southern Indiana (there is contact information at the bottom of this article): Foraging: finding meals outdoors

Not sure if you are in southeast or southwest Indiana, but you could contact your local herbarium--they'll probably have the best notion of what it could be, e.g., Staff Listing : Indiana University Southeast

3. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Might be Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, sometimes called Indian turnip.