UBC tree ID

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival' started by Ieda, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Ieda

Ieda Member

Do you know how we could identify the trees at UBC using the number attached to them (See pics)? (Would there be any catalogue available ?)

Thanks !!

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0709.JPG

2. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

My old copy of "1999 UBC Tree Inventory" lists your 2 tree tags

Code:
    TAG	DBH	STM	SPRD	COMMON_NAM	GENUS	SPECIES	COND.
    4758	13	-	3	Cherry, Japanese Flowering	Prunus	serrulata	F
    7724	9	-	2	Plum, Purple	Prunus	cerasifera	P

Let me mention several cautions:
    1. My copy is out of date, UBC Plant Operations may have an update available.
      www.plantoperations.ubc.ca/our_services/business_resource/landscape_ground.htm
      "[...] database includes maps and information on campus trees [...]"
      Note that "Plant" here does not mean vegetable =>lookwayup.com
    2. A complete inventory should probably not be public for fear of theft.
    3. There are of course inaccuracies.
      For example, my post under Neighborhoods=>UBC about a Whitcomb is listed as:
      7666 14 3 Cherry, Japanese Flowering Prunus serrulata G

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In reality few Japanese flowering cherries are Prunus serrulata forms or even hybrids derived from it so unless the specimen of interest happens to actually be an example of that particular species they should change the record. The earlier practice, still occurring (as we see here) of listing Japanese garden cherries (Sato-zakura) under P. serrulata was incorrect.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Ron is absolutely right. Prunus serrulata is not a good name, as it's confused and constantly mis-applied. However, an equally big problem in my estimation is poor record-keeping, which leads to the misidentification of cultivars. Presumably, the people who plant trees on campus, have access to the correct names when they purchase them. I'll bet it's written down somewhere.

5. Ieda

Ieda Member

Thank you so much for all of the replies !!
    We'll keep on doing UBC walks and we'll make sure to take pictures of the ID's, so that we'll have more reliable information about the trees.

dt-van, I couldn't find the trees inventory online. Do you think they would be there, even if only partially ?

Thank you !

6. bling

bling Member

thanks for the great information!

7. Rock

Rock New Member

dt-van the link to plantoperations is inactive. Would you mind sharing your inventory?

Thanks,

Rock

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Rock, if your interest is ornamental cherries, which it should be if you're posting in this forum, you can find around 38 locations in the UBC neighbourhood (west of Blanca) on the festival map (click on the map picture to go to the map). Those locations, most of which are at UBC, were all posted in the UBC Neighbourhood Blog.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014