Tsawwassen and Ladner

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Our Tsawwassen scout tells me this location just makes it into Ladner, so that's where I'm posting this photo of a row of 'Akebono' along the side of the Esso station on Hwy 10 just east of the freeway (Hwy 99).

Attached Files:

2. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono: 11 Ave and 55 Street Tsawwassen

Thanks to a strong hint from Wendy, I have found three more locations for Akebono in Tsawwassen. The first one is an apartment building at the corner of 11 Ave and 55 Street; go south past the 12th Ave Credit Union. There are two rows about 3 or 4 trees on each side, wrapping around the corner of the building.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono: Tsawwassen Kinsmen Retirement Home

Wendy alerted me about this row of Akebono, which she thought were "young" and "not very exciting", but they are both the largest trees and the longest row I've found so far. But I'm still new at this, so perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places. This is on the west side of the Kinsmen Retirement Centre (5410 10th Ave Tsaw). They're not that visible from the street, you have to come in to the parking lot.

Attached Files:

4. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono: Tsawwassen Library Parking Lot

There are two young trees with lots of room to grow beside the library on the south side, and another fine row on the north side belonging to the condo development there. I think these are all Akebono.

Attached Files:

5. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono at Tsawwassen White Spot

These are probably the best known trees in Tsawwassen. The White Spot restaurant is right on the main drag in the middle of town. There is one Akebono at the front, on 56 Street, and another around the corner on 12th Ave. You get a really nice view of the 12th Ave one from inside the restaurant if you choose a table on that side. The front tree can be viewed from the outdoor patio if the day is warm. And of course you can walk under both since they are right on the sidewalk.

Attached Files:

6. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Tsawwassen and Ladner Cherry Scout Area

After Wendy's question about where her photo should be placed, I wanted to illustrate the area that I consider Tsawwassen and Ladner for purposes of filing the Cherry Scout photos. Although technically these communities belong to the municipality of Delta, geographically they are very separate. The area that I've indicated on the map includes Burns Bog and a lot of rural farmland, and I've chosen to go right up to Highway 91 on the east side. I don't know how many cherries we'll find out there, but if there are any, they might be a good size.

Point Roberts in the US would be a separate area, if we get any reports from there.

I hope this is agreeable to everyone. I know you city folks are a little vague about all the 'burbs in the south :D I certainly was until I moved here!

Attached Files:

7. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono: Pacific Drive Tsawwassen

North end of Pacific Drive, 1/2 block up from English Bluff Road

In the private yard directly north (to the right as you enter) of the row (edit: of plums, not cherries as I originally thought), there are two very carefully clipped trees that I think are Akebono. I could not get very close to the flowering branches and I didn't like to just walk in and shake the tree!

Attached Files:

8. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Shirotae: Tsawwassen, Stahaken district North end of Pacific Drive

Sorry about the plum. This one is a cherry, I promise. :D In fact, I think it is Shirotae.

There are several cul-de-sacs in this neighborhood, and they each have a central traffic-circle area planted with four flowering trees. The trees are pruned, I don`t know why as there is lots of room for them to grow and no overhead wires. This is the first cul-de-sac, nearest 52nd Ave. There are two cherry trees in bloom now, and two that will be later.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

This long row of 'Akebono' are not in bloom yet, but someone might want to check them out in a week or two. They're at the Glenwood Commerce Centre on Hwy 17 just east of the gas station next to the Delta Town and Country Inn. There are I think two later cultivars around the west side of the building.
    20110327_Hwy17_Akebono_Cutler_P1080909.jpg 20110327_Hwy17_Akebono_Cutler_P1080912.jpg 20110327_Hwy17_Akebono_Cutler_P1080914.jpg

There are about 16 plums in bloom in the parking lot of the Town and Country Inn. It looks pretty impressive.

10. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono on Ladner Trunk Road

This very nice thick row is just off the highway. If you are heading from Vancouver to the ferry you should turn left at Ladner Trunk Road. It's the first stop light after the tunnel. The trees are just a few blocks down, across from Holly Park. Young, but with room to grow.

This photo taken a few days ago on April 8th.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  11. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Kanzan at Beach Grove Park

This tree is just buds now, but it's only a few sunny days away from blooming.

The full-bloom photo is from last year, April 24th.

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

It will be interesting (to me) to see a photo of the bottom of the trunk this year, to see if it's really not grafted. I'm assuming it's 'Kanzan'. Such a nice-looking tree.

13. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

Akebono at the Ferry Terminal

Wendy, yes the Beach Grove Park one is Kanzan. I will be sure to look at the grafting. Douglas mentioned root-grafting at the seminar so perhaps this is what we'll see.

Here is an Akebono at the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal, a few days past it's prime but still full of blooms. It is in a central mini-park inbetween the parking lanes, right beside the new terminal shopping mall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  14. wcutler

Re: Tsawwassen and Ladner Cherry Scout Area

We're a little vague for good reason. I just came across this on The History of Metropolitan Vancouver - Chronology 1900-1905 Chuck Davis's yet to be (posthumously) published year-by-year history of the region:
    So Nora gets to set the boundaries.

15. wcutler

Three 'Okame' in Tsawwassen at Winskill Park, which is actually a sports field. These trees are grafted onto Birch Bark Cherry trunks, which looks ridiculous (though my friend said "beautiful", so maybe I'm just missing something). The trees have nice colour, but look terrible otherwise.

Attached Files:

16. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: White Rock / South Surrey

It is so nice to see Akebono in bloom among empty spring farm fields
    Ladner Exchange, photo from the bus window. Akebono trees around this place

Attached Files:

17. Nadia White Rock

Kanzan trees(more than 30) around Delta View Habilitation Centre and Delta View Enrichment Centre(on map)

Attached Files:

18. Nadia White Rock

Delta

Big Shirotae near hospital entrance in Delta, on map

Attached Files:

19. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Kanzan trees in bloom at NW corner 56th Street and 14th Avenue, April 17, 2013. At first I thought the two trees on the 56th Street side of the building might be Pink Perfection because the green emerging leaves were making the trees look a lot greener than the two trees on the side at 14th Avenue (3rd photo). However other new leaves were less green and more bronze, and the flowers don't have the two-tone look of the Pink Perfection at Queen Elizabeth Park.

Attached Files:

20. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

It seems presumptuous to ID a tree based on a single opening bud, but as it is unlikely that we will be taking another relative to the ferry soon, I'll have to stick my neck out and say this is a Shirofugen flexing its first petal at the Kiwanis Longhouse in Grauer Park, 56th Street and 18th Avenue.

Around the back of the building is a Shidare-zakura, just finishing its bloom on April 17, 2013.

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

Here is a planting of 8 or 9 'Whitcomb' trees on the corner of the Riverwest condominium complex on River Road at 47a Street. From the map, it doesn't seem like that intersection is possible, but that's what the street sign said. You can see the trees in bloom in google earth view, but they're not in bloom in street view.

Attached Files:

22. Nadia White Rock

7 Amanogawa at Author Dr, Ladner Rd
    20150415_AuthorDrLadner_Amanogawa_NadiaWhiteRock7.JPG 20150415_AuthorDrLadner_Amanogawa_NadiaWhiteRock.JPG

Amanogawa at 47aAve & 51St and at 47a Ave & Ladner Trunk Rd
    20150415_47aAve51St_Amanogawa_NadiaWhiteRock3.JPG 20150415_47aAve51St_Amanogawa_NadiaWhiteRock5.jpg
    20150415_47aAveLadnerRd_Amanogawa_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20150415_47aAveLadnerRd_Amanogawa_NadiaWhiteRock-.JPG

23. Nadia White Rock

4 beautiful Shirofugen at 47aAve & 51St.
    20150415_47aAve57St_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock5.jpg 20150415_47aAve57St_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20150415_47aAve57St_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock6.jpg 20150415_47aAve57St_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock7.jpg

3 beautiful Shirofugen at Ladner Exchnge.
    20150415_LadnerE_Shirogugen_NadiaWhiteRock.JPG 20150415_LadnerEx_Shirogugen_NadiaWhiteRock.JPG 20150415_LadnerEx_Shirogugen_NadiaWhiteRock-.jpg

24. Nadia White Rock

5 Shirotae at Ladner Trunk Rd(47a Ave) near 51St. are out of bloom, hope to catch them next year in better time.
    20150415_LadnerTrunk51St_Shirotae_NadiaWhiteRock5.jpg 20150415_LadnerTrunk51St_Shirotae_NadiaWhiteRock.JPG 20150415_LadnerTrunk51St_Shirotae_NadiaWhiteRock1.JPG 20150415_LadnerTrunk51St_Shirotae_NadiaWhiteRock-.JPG

Another Shirotae at 52aAve south from Ladner Trunk Rd.
    20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Shirotae_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Shirotae_NadiaWhiteRock-.jpg

25. Nadia White Rock

Line of Akebono on west side of 52aAve south from Ladner Trunk Rd.
    20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Akebono_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Akebono_NadiaWhiteRock .jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Akebono_NadiaWhiteRock-.jpg

Great Sendai-Shidare at the same 52aAve.
    20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Sendai_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Sendai_NadiaWhiteRock1.jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Sendai_NadiaWhiteRock2.jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Sendai_NadiaWhiteRock0.jpg 20150415_52aAveLadnerTrunk_Sendai_NadiaWhiteRock1 (2).jpg