Trying to identify this plan growing in my garden

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by boogermelissa, Oct 24, 2013.

1. boogermelissa

boogermelissa New Member

Hi, I recently bought a condo and this plant is growing and not sure what it is supposed to be. Can you please help me identify it? I cut a branch off and it sitting on my couch.

Thanks!
    Melissa

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

boogermelissa, I really can't see enough of the plant to determine anything. I think we would need a closer photo of the plant, better to take the picture where the plant is growing and if possible in a larger size. Descriptions of the form, size and shape of the plant will help as well.

3. boogermelissa

boogermelissa New Member

Hello, The plant has bamboo like qualities. At the end of the "bamboo" strand, there is brown like buds, and brown leaves. It looks like it can potentially bud into something. The plant is about 3-4 ft high and 2-3 ft wide. Attached are two new pictures of the actual plant. Hopefully you can see it better.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Attached Files:

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Broom immediately came to mind for me as well, but given it's hard to tell by the pic, an alternate possibility could be winter jasmine (jasmine nudiflorum). Can't tell if it's arching toward the light, or (as per the jasmine) arching by nature.

On second look, definitely appears to be more arching by nature--the branches in the foreground in particular....though I suppose various brooms do this as well..

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As indicated by multiple possibilities being thrown up subsequently you still need to put up better pictures to get a good answer here.