Trumpet vine growth

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by celticlass69, Apr 23, 2006.

1. celticlass69

celticlass69 Member

Hi;
    I was just wondering when my trumpet vine should start to show new growth? My climbing Hydrangea and Clematis are already showing growth. Should I prune the trumpet vine?
    Thank you,
    Sharon in Ontario

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

My trumpet vine has already grown quiet a bit of new growth, but I'm in BC. I wouldn't expect yours to show new stuff until it warms up a bit more. If your concerned about it though, take a little snip off a branch to check if it is still alive.

3. celticlass69

celticlass69 Member

I just tried a couple of small sections of my trumpet vine. Some twigs were definitely dead (although this could be last years growth .. it was a new plant). While other twigs were soft and I think they are alive. Not sure though. So its a wait and see I guess eh?

Sharon

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

My approach is "It ain't dead till it's dead!". I would leave it alone.

5. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I can sympathize with your concern. This is my second year with this vine, and it was very slow sprouting. Now it has taken off. At first I thought it was dead, but now there are shoots all over except for some of the ends of the trailers, which I have now pruned. I think it was my last perennial to show growth. I am in Brantford.

Durgan.

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was cursed with trumpet vine - campsis radicans for 13 years as I had inherited it with the house. I live in zone 7 and found it was the last plant to leaf out in my garden in spring and the first plant to lose it's leaves in the fall. After a few years it began to pop up everywhere. I found sprouts as far away as 35' from the parent plant.

Newt