trellising grapes - onto my porch roof??

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Brandy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Brandy

Brandy Member

I have very limited sun in my north facing backyard but full sun in my south facing front b/c there are no trees casting shade. I was thinking of trying to grow grapes there but don't want to erect a trellis in the middle of the yard (which is only 10x10) b/c it will block the sun from casting into my house. So I was thinking about maybe trying to trellis them up the roof of my porch, building some type of structure so the fruit doesn't lay on the surface. Does this sound crazy? Has anyone done this before? Do you think it can be done? I want to make the most of my space and grow as much as possible but don't want to do anything that is doomed for failure.

PS - I have a white metal roof which reflects the light so it doesn't get as baking hot as dark coloured asphalt roofs.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It should work just fine, but it might be diffiicult to reach the grapes when they are ready to be harvested. A trellis at the front of the porch roof would make harvesting and pruning easier and should be easier to build.