Tree Fern Dying?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by ob1, May 26, 2009.

1. ob1

ob1 Member

Hi

New Member here with a couple of problem ferns.

I've got a problem with a couple of tree fern I have and I need a bit of advice,

The Problem started last year on a C. Australis, where the unfurling
    fronds suddenly, on the second flush started to go black and stop growing out,
    the size of this fern is about 5' and there were no adverse weather conditions,
    and my other ferns continued to grow well, I cut off the dyeing fronds and no
    more have come.

this year my 8' fern( D.Antartica ) has done the same, this is very worrying as I have
    had this particular fern for 6 years and I don't want to lose it, any help how
    to avoid this problem and to remedy my ailing ferns would be greatly
    appreciated.

I'm in North Wales and the ferns are in a relativly sheltered position in the
    corner of my south facing garden under a flowering cherry tree. They have been
    in the ground for about 4 years, growing quite happily, I water into the crown and give the trunks a good soaking probably not as often as I should. I have included some pics Phil

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  2. honolua

honolua Active Member

Wow..how sad for you as they look quite a nice size. Perhaps a fungus? Have you tried fungicide this past winter/early spring? They don't look rotten or dried out. I am stumped too, although black can be a fungus indication. Perhaps an expert will come forth with some wisdom!

good luck