transplanting grape vines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by eggels4e, Jun 23, 2009.

1. eggels4e

eggels4e Member

can grape vines be tranplanted when grapes are already coming on the vines? the vines are about one year old and I just recently found out the lot I planted them on may not be my own so I will need to move them asap! can it be done with out killing them? thanks!

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

You could try. Get as much of the root as possible and put them back in the ground as soon as possible. Put lots of water on the plants as soon as you have transplanted them. It will knock the plant back a bit and it's probable that you won't have any fruit.
    Transplanting at this stage is always hard on the vines. Good luck.

3. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

hey dude i think its possible but like everyone is saying you have to put lots and lots of water on them. i dug up a wild cherry plum tree full of plums in may because i wanted to make sure the one i dug up was going to bear fruit. everyone told me it was a bad idea to dig it up in the blazing heat that we get here in florida but i went for it! all the leaves died and turned brown in about 2 weeks. i pulled all the dead leaves off and watered it daily for another month and i just recently noticed my first leaf on the 4th of july, two months later. so mines came back to life in the middle of the summer in florida where its 90 degrees plus 7 days a week. here are some pictures.

5-21-09
    [​IMG]

6-1-09
    [​IMG]

7-4-09
    [​IMG]

4. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

hey i transplanted a wild scuppernong vine yesterday and put it on my trellis. it had grapes on it aslo so i pruned it hoping that it will revive itself faster. its pretty long too take a look!.

before the prune
    [​IMG]

the grapes on it
    [​IMG]

after the prune on the trellis
    [​IMG]

i planted it in soil even thought it doesnt look like it
    [​IMG]