General: Transplant Lavender ?

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Padraigan, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

I have done a Google search and come up with conflicting answers as to whether or not I can or should transplant my 3 year old Lavender.
    I would leave it alone but I want to take it with me when I move but if it means killing it, I won't bother. I'll let someone else enjoy it.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Take cuttings! That way you can enjoy it, and so can whoever moves in after you.

3. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

My experience with moving a 2 year old plant killed it. I take cuttings in early summer and root in straight perlite. Also look around the plant this spring and look out for self-sown seedlings.

4. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

Thank you Lorax and Vera. That's what I thought. Someone gave me a big chunk of their Lavender just before I bought this one and it died. I didn't realize starting cuttings was so easy, so that's what I will do.

5. ghielyn12

ghielyn12 Member

The appearance of Lavender in our garden is a definite sign that spring has arrived. Its lovely fragrance and delicate, graceful blooms are a beautiful addition to any landscape. If you’ve decided to transplant your Lavender from one garden spot to another, here are a few important facts that will help you prepare for the big move.

Step 1:
    Wait until your Lavender sprouts are about 3 months old before transplanting
    them into small pots if you’re starting from seeds.​
    Step2:
    Pay close attention to soil drainage when choosing a new garden spot for your
    Lavender (if you’re starting with mature plants). ​
    Step3:
    Clear the new spot of all weeds before transplanting your Lavender. ​
    Step4:
    Prepare the new site. Dig a large hole for the transplant, as Lavender plants
    have very large root balls. ​
    Step5:
    Mulch with either limestone or compost, but don’t let the mulch touch the
    trunk of the plant.​
    Step6:
    Lavender likes to be crowded into small spaces if you're planting in pots. If you
    maintain your Lavender in pots, you’ll probably have to transplant it into a
    slightly larger pot each spring so it will have room for additional growth in the
    upcoming year. Use fresh potting soil each time you repot for the most
    abundant and dazzling shades of Lavender you can imagine.​

6. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

Thank you for that ! I am wondering something though. Why ??? is it that Lavender and other plants don't like to be transplanted ? What is it about the act of transplanting that makes them die ? If I dug way around the roots would it still die ? Anyone know ?

7. lorax

For Lavender, at least, the roots are very sensitive to being disturbed, and even if you dig out a substantial area around them, the act of lifting the plant is enough to perturb the roots. For others, like Poppy, there's a deep tap root that gets damaged when the plant is moved. Still others have shallow, delicate root systems.

8. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

" Step6:
    Lavender likes to be crowded into small spaces if you're planting in pots. If you
    maintain your Lavender in pots, you’ll probably have to transplant it into a
    slightly larger pot each spring so it will have room for additional growth in the
    upcoming year. Use fresh potting soil each time you re pot for the most
    abundant and dazzling shades of Lavender you can imagine.

Why is it that you can re pot Lavender grown in pots and not grown in the ground ? Not being difficult ... just curious.

9. lorax

It's because potted Lavender becomes rootbound. The greater root mass allows the plant to survive the trauma of repotting.

10. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

I see ... thank you !