Toxic plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Jana, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Jana

Jana Member

Just recently one of my cats ate a plant which made him very ill. I received the plant as a cutting from a friend who doesn't know what it is. I have asked in several plant stores as to what it may be and no one seems to know exactly. The only thing I have been able to dig up is that the plant I have is similar to grape ivy, but grape ivy plant is supposed to be non-toxic. Could you please tell me what plants out there may be toxic to animals and are similar in appearance to grape ivy?
    Unfortunatelly I don't have a digital camera to post a picture, but I still have the plant.
    Thank you
    Jana

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi there,

In this case, a picture might be worth a thousand words. Would you be able to send us a photograph? Alternatively, you could send a shoot of the plant (with leaves) wrapped in slightly damp paper towel and placed in a plastic freezer bag. Our address is 6804 SW Marine Drive, Vancouver BC, V6T 1Z4

Also, does the plant have tendrils? Tendrils are specialized structures and would narrow the possibilities of what it might be considerably. Grape ivy is a member of the grape family and does have tendrils.

Grape ivy and its tendrils pictured on the UCLA Botanical Garden web site

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Here is a list of plants known to be toxic to animals or children, there are no pictures, unfortunately, but it describes symptoms and identifies the poisonous part. You may be able to narrow it down from that, and then search for a picture to compare with your plant.
    I recommend following Daniel's suggestion to bring in a cutting or sending a picture of the plant, it may make things much easier for you.

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years