townhouse gardens

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jules, Feb 22, 2003.

1. jules

jules Member

Hi,
    I live in a building in Fairview Slopes (Vancouver) that has several townhouses on the ground floor with small gardens in front of each townhouse. Many of our plants, trees and shrubs are dying or are in rough shape due to owner neglect, turnover and lack of strata funds to employ landscapers. I have been working on my little plot of land for the last year with quite a bit of success, yet I am a beginning gardener. Even so I have volunteered to head a committee that will attempt to figure out how we can revive our gardens, replant, water and even redesign for easier and more environmentally friendly care. I'm wondering what kind of resources are out there for such a large project? Should we hire a garden consultant and then do the work ourselves? Are there volunteers who might take a look and give us advice? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    jules

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

That is a big job you have taken on!
    It is probably well worth your while to have a professional give advice before you get started. Try calling the British Columbia Landscape and Nursery Trades association at 604 574 7772 or email nelson@telus.net to get the names of Garden Designers in your area.
    Good luck and good gardening!

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Further to that reply

If you can obtain 'Gardenwise' , B.C landscape and Garden Products directory, 2002 edition, you will find many hints as well as garden designer listings. It should be available at good nurseries and is priced very reasonably at $2.95!

4. zakalls

zakalls Member

be optimistic

First of all don't panic ! get a peice of paper and a pencil , sit out in your coart yard or where ever you have to design... draw out your plot, try designing your own landscape maybe have theme gardens, then do some research on low matenance shubs and perennials ie" heather, rhodos ,azaleas. iris's, hostas ,kalmias things that bloom all year and maybe some red twig dogwood for winter .look at stuff thats easy to care for ,low maintence an cheap.. there is tones of cheap plants out there maybe even have a work bee . invite some of the residents to help and maybe they have friends with plants to donate.just an idea! and if you want to purchase any of the above listed we happen to carry all of these at very reasonable prices way below garden center costs.