too much gypsum in clay soil?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by hironomous, May 18, 2009.

1. hironomous

hironomous Member

Hello,

In my zeal to soften the clay soil of my vegetable garden (after unsuccessfully trying to do so with vast amounts of organic matter), I added gypsum. I misread the instructions and added 50 lbs to a 150 square foot area when the instructions suggest 50 punds for 1000 square feet. Any idea if I will have problems and if so how I might address them?

Thanks

2. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Dig it out by hand or with a man dozer and replace the soil with a proper amendment.
    There is little you can do now that wont exacerbate the error.
    It's only a 10 by 15 foot plot so not impossible.
    You should be able to spread the take out over a larger area to reduce the gypsum concentration.

Bob

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. hironomous

hironomous Member

Just an update, in case someone comes across this topic in a search sometime in the future.. I was too lazy to dig it all out, so I took a chance and planted. No problems so far. I planted carrots, beans, peas, squash, carrotts, tomatoes and cucmbers and none appear to be suffering. In fact they are growing as well or better than what I planted in another plot. We'll see what the gypsum does for the clay.

4. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

Does it seem to have any different sort of a texture than previously?

5. hironomous

hironomous Member

Not yet, but from my reading it may take a few seasons. The granuals appear to be well distributed throughout the soil, but have not disolved completely. I suppose there is some possibility of deferred ill effects as they dissolve as well. I will try to keep you updated.