tiny plums

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by lulin, Jun 26, 2007.

1. lulin

lulin Member

Perhaps this issue has been raised before. I have two plum trees with yellow plums. This year there are lots of tiny plums, say 3-5 mm in diameter, and a few large, still green plums. Also, both trees display a very large number of new branches in spite of pruning. I live on Malcolm Island, off the northern tip of Vancouver Island, and we experienced a rather moist Spring and early Summer. Any suggestions?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The small ones are duds that are going to drop off. Pruning promotes sprouting. However, substantial reduction (heading back) actually results in less overall size increase than if same specimen was not cut back. Same as with pruning of other trees better to not do much of it if you are not already familiar with pruning of orchard plums, which varies with the type.

3. lulin

lulin Member

Thank you for the note. I was unaware that pruning of plums retards harvest volume. Incidentally, where can I find the information of how to maintain different plum types?

Thank you for your assistance,

Frank

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Orchardists prune them in specific ways with the idea it enhances production. What I said was cutting a tree back makes the increase in total mass of the tree itself the following season less than if it had not been cut back. For more on orchard fruits try web pages of California Cooperative Extension.