Three Vancouver Monkey Puzzle Trees

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by wcutler, Jun 14, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I saw this tree last week, didn't remember that I'd already posted it so was on the lawn taking photos when the owner appeared and told us it's 90 years old. It's at 4796 Narvaez.

2. wcutler

Well actually, for iPhone and other Apple mobile device users, the app is available now on the iTunes App Store - look for Vancouver Trees. The map comes with the upgraded version. Unfortunately, most of the Straley locations for monkey puzzle trees are no longer there, and the locations given in this thread have not been added (yet?). I have the test version of the app for Android, so that's coming, surely by October for the scheduled official launch.

3. Ron B

Ron B Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Yes: still waiting for the big ones.

4. SimFin

SimFin Member

Many monkey puzzle trees have been noted over the course of several years, large and small. It's hard to decipher some of the photos to get a sense of which ones are truly large, and how tall they are - but from what I can tell, four of the largest monkey puzzle trees in Vancouver are the pair at 1063 Balfour, one at 410 West 12th (across from City Hall) and the other one at 2798 Yale (measured as 70 cm dbh). These all would have been planted in the 1910s, probably not long after the houses were built (between 1910 and 1913).

5. Ron B

I have spotted and noted hundreds of large examples of as many kinds of trees in the region, most of which have gone on to be recorded in the print publications of friends. When I say I am not seeing quite apparently big monkey puzzles on this thread it is with an experienced eye. If someone can come up with a complete set of accurate dimensions for particular examples thought preeminent that might change the picture.

6. saopk

saopk New Member

I am trying to located monkey tree seeds in the vancouver BC area, I saw your pictures and just wondering if you know which tree might have viable seeds?

7. wcutler

See posting #11 and then Eric's comments in posting #12. That was five years ago, and it sounds like there were seeds on that tree at the time. I thought I found a seed last year, but I can't remember where and I seem to have eaten it before posting it. Maybe the one on the road up to the restaurant in QE Park?

8. saopk

saopk New Member

Ive read online once the seed drops, it dies after a few days? is this true?

9. Ron B

Seeds are saved and used to grow new ones, this wouldn't be possible if they were so ephemeral.

10. Michael F

Michael F Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, if the seeds are kept in a warm, dry room.

No, if they are kept refrigerated and moist - then they'll keep several months.