Identification: The Trees of Slocan Park, East Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by writerrs, Nov 15, 2014.

1. writerrs

writerrs New Member

Hello, I'm new to UBC Botanical Gardens and this is my first post.

I'm a poet working on a long poem, which, in part, will contain images and names of trees that I encounter in my local area of Renfrew-Collingwood. I've been in touch with the City of Vancouver regarding Slocan Park, although have not yet hear back from the designated Park Superintendent for this area.

I'm interested in the trees of Slocan Park: when they were planted, by whom, the names of these trees. Some are large (deciduous, primarily) and a few seem to be cedar. I don't yet know, nor am I brave enough (!) to attempt to upload photos to this site. I have been trying to read through the FAQ and the "test bed" threads provided here, with thanks. Any information anyone can provide or point me toward, would be much appreciated.

Apologies in advance if I've not quite got the protocols and rules for this valuable online resource. XRSS

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you do post photographs, I'm fairly certain we'll be able to get you an ID. As for who planted them and when, that info will have to come from a City of Vancouver Parks recordkeeper.

4. writerrs

writerrs New Member

Dear Chimera and Dear Daniel,

Thank you, both, for your responses, and the useful link and information. Much appreciated. I've a batch of photos, both of the trees, in situ, as it were, taken late Sept/14; and, also, photographs of some leaf specimens that I pasted into the, er, "leaves" of my notebook. All of this becomes material for the text of the poem.
    I hope to follow up in next little while, I'm currently on book tour etc. I really have no scientific background and am the worst sort of occasional urban gardener, currently without even a balcony for container gardening. However, for some reason, perhaps b/c of volunteer efforts with my Collingwood community garden, and because of a deep longing difficult to name, partially, I think, due to a loss of a river view, this fall I started paying attention to the trees of Vancouver. (I've Straley's Trees of Vancouver etc).
    XRSS

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Keep an eye out for Vancouver Trees mobile app, soon to be released. Lots of Straley trees are on the map. It's way cool to have a bunch of trees with IDs in an area where you can walk around and check out several at a time. None of them are in Slocan Park, though. :)

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If it is on a main street it is sometimes possible to id via Google maps street level view by entering in an intersection and walking the view window over to where you want to see.