Identification: The forest mushrooms!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by ariani, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

I found these mushroom in forest. Any ID please?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lovely finds Ariani!

The first photo appears to be a puffball. In my region Lycoperdon perlatum looks like this. Cutting puffballs in half is prudent to see if there is a mushroom outline inside indicating it is a button of a mushroom rather than a puffball, or solid undifferentiated white surface, or dark spore mass, or truffle-interior structure.

The second photo is likely ofTurkey tails (Trametes versicolor) on hardwood, but a shot of the underside is needed to ensure there are pores of the turkeytail sort.

The third photo looks is of a Russula, sometimes called a Brittlegill. It is not possible to verify Russulas to species from a photo. Characters that will help you ID include the colour of the cap and stem, the yellow of the gills, tasting to see if mild or peppery, and knowledge of the list of species in your region that match these characters. I like that you've included a cone, as tree associate type can be relevant as well.

cheers!
    frog

3. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

Thank you frog. I cut the puffball and was solid in side. I should have a photo of it. There was no steel just some dark brown filaments underneath. There were some brown puffballs near by. When you press them there was a brown dust released on air.is it dangerous or poison in case you inhale it? Thank you for your professional explanation. I should emphasize the altitude of them is about 1500 above sea level.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

You are welcome Ariani,

The brown ones nearby are likely older specimens: The white interior of fresh puffballs matures into a browner spore mass which puffs out of the puffball when something touches it. They have an impressively massive number of spores!

The spores are not poisonous, but if you were to inhale lots of them it could cause your lungs trouble in the same way that inhaling a quantity of another powdery masses would, as a irritant.
    And of course folks with compromised immune systems should avoid inhaling spores in quantity from mushrooms in general.

I've never considered puffball species in terms of elevation, though there are certainly many fungi that have elevation preferences ... In my region I see puffballs at all elevations, but have not noticed whether any species have preferences here.

cheers!
    frog