terrarium advice, please?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by leaf kotasek, Dec 20, 2009.

1. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

hi!

i know next to nothing about terrariums and i suddenly feel the need to make one! what plants should i try? what kind of soil should i use? is florescent lighting a good idea? what size container should i use? do i put a lid on the terrarium? any advice at all is very welcome. thanks!

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

There are the experts out there, with no reply as yet.... but from my experience, with a defunct acquarium, no lid, and also a large clear glass pickle jar with a removable lid....I was able to encourage a healthy mix of mosses, ferns from the backyard (no botanical names at the moment) and baby tropicals from the local nursery.... this was successful for about 4 years.... until I gave them away as gifts... and never to be seen again. Bright light and moderate watering, however over watering created "steamy" glass in the jar.... moss and lichens did very well in the jar, as well as Blechnum penna-marina for the aquarium and Asplenium t. for the jar.