tall, skinny jade plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by silver gaither, Mar 18, 2014.

1. silver gaither

silver gaither New Member

I have had a jade plant for about a year. It has only grown straight up and is too tall too skinny. I have to tie it to keep it from bending over. It has no limbs out to the sides. What do I do??? Thanks! sherry (silver gaither)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Provide more light.

3. Tanis

Tanis New Member

Yes, more light . My Jade loves the West facing window that I have it in. It's nice and full, almost evenly balanced. I attribute this to giving it a 1/4 turn daily to help each part get even light and heat. I wasn't told to do that I just felt it made sense and my plant has been doing well because of it. If you miss turning it don't worry just try to adjust it a few times a week. Perhaps, trimming the top(couple of branches ) with a sharp knife and letting those develop roots that you could then add to your plant at the base may slow it from growing top heavy. Just a thought. I'm not an expert by any means. I just read and 'wing it' I fertilize it during specific time frames and water it from the bottom so it 'drinks' from the roots. Careful not to over water but this method allows it to take what it needs just don't let it sit in a lot of water. The last thing that succulent plants prefer is soil for its type .
    Hope this helps. Enjoy your Jade. I've had mine for over 10 yrs and it was only 6 -10 inches tall. Now, it's at least 2ft tall or more and about 1 to 1.5 feet wide. I've started other plants off of it It is my pride plant.