Table Grapes

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by HMH, Nov 5, 2005.

1. HMH

HMH New Member

We have been purchasing a very good table grape, seedless, red and no one at the store seems to know anything about the grape other than it is called Holiday Grape. Does anyone know the name of this vine and where I might purchase a plant. Thank you.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

There's nothing in any of my literature about a "Holiday" variety, so I'd have to suggest some detective work. Ask your store manager for the supplier/grower's name and phone/email info. Have all your available information (anything printed on the bag, bar codes, whatever) available and be prepared to linger beyond the comfort zone of whoever you talk to. In other words, don't take no for an answer too easily, and persist. If you are dealing thru email, take a good photo of the grape and send it along. For that matter, post it here and maybe someone will take a stab at it.

Ralph

3. I will do my best to gather information in regard to the holiday red seedless grape variety.
    Phil

4. HMH, I have been searching the internet to try to find vines for the "Holiday Grape" myself with no luck. Your question was the only reference I have seen to that name. My produce manager justs tells me that they came out of California. Have you come up with any information about where vines might be purchased? They are the best eating grape I have tasted. Another grape vine I would like is referred to as "Champaigne Grapes". They are real small, very sweet, white grapes that you eat off the bunch rather than pick each seperately. Have you any info on these? Thanks

5. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

More than likely the seedless Grapes available during the
    Holiday season in the grocery stores were Ruby seedless.
    They generally ripen here between August and January.

Jim

6. Look up www.mcaratan.com

7. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think with unregistered posts linking to a source
    that we have to be careful in that an outsider can
    link to a web site for self-serving reasons. In this
    case it is not a big deal as I know this source but
    I still prefer to have one of these kinds of links
    made by a member of this forum, rather than from
    a non-member. Just being technical this morning.

The problem arises in that Flame seedless are
    brought in from elsewhere giving the impression
    that these Grapes came from California for the
    Holiday season. Yet some California Flame
    seedless can be held in cold storage just for
    the early Holiday season also. Check the label
    and see if your are indeed buying a California
    Table Grape. Another seedless Grape is the
    Crimson seedless that can be seen during the
    Holiday season but the more commonly seen
    red Table Grapes seen during the Holidays are
    the Ruby seedless, Red Globe and the Emperor
    of which both the latter do have seeds in them.

Jim

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agreed, but the link was investigated before approving, and it points to a site where the vineyard produces Holiday ® Variety grapes.

9. ed sieckert

ed sieckert Member

Re: Holiday var. red seedless grape

Yes I too enjoy the texture and flavor of the Holiday var. of grape. I looked for it on the internet and did not locate any information so I sent an
    email to the California Table Grape Commission and received a reply today.

It is a variety developed by Columbine vineyards in Delano, Ca. You may access it at the following link. http://columbinevineyards.com/history.htm

Enjoy this wonderful grape.

Ed Sieckert
    Ag Consultant

10. asmith

asmith Member

11. RicRiv

RicRiv Member

The "Holiday Grape" is grown exclusively by the Caratan family; one of their vineyards is in Delano, Ca. Under the Columbine label. I have not been able to find anyone who sells the grape vine for private or commercial use. I do keep looking from time to time and as yet have not contacted the vineyard to see if they sell the vines (under the assumption that they will choose to maintain their exclusivity of the grape). If anyone out there does find a supplier I surely would be very appreciative, you just can't beat these grapes for form, texture and flavor. Thank you, RAR

12. SugarMama

SugarMama Member

Columbine Holiday Variety Grapes,
    Just bought these grapes today, and they are just awesome. I, like all of you, am looking for the
    plants. I have information of where they come from, but it is too late to call them, so I will do this tomorrow. Meantime, I will give to you the info that I have, and good luck.

Columbine Vineyards
    33787 Cecil Ave.
    Delano, CA 93215-9597

13. RicRiv

RicRiv Member

Thanks for the update, I would any additional information. Mean while I contacted another plant supplier and they told me the 'variety' of grapes is available by different names. Though they would not say they were the same, they said they most likely were the same. They call their variety Delaware Grapes, and do sell plants.

Here is their information:
    Summerstone Nursery
    Phone: 931-668-7991
    info@summerstonenursery.com
    www.summerstonenursery.com

Please let me know if you find anymore information out, Thankyou,
    RAR

14. SugarMama

SugarMama Member

This is a message about the Columbine Holiday Variety Grapes:

This is very sad news for all of us who are trying to find this plant. I just talked to the people who own Columbine Holiday Variety Grapes. The Man said "There is no plant available" it is their own
    creation, and they do not sell the plants.

15. tilmar

tilmar Member

I tried to find out if these grapes are genetically modified last year when I got really, really sick to my stomach after eating some. The growers didn't even answer me, and the FDA said they are not required to label for GMO.