Swedish Trembling Aspen - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by seanjenny, Apr 26, 2009.

1. seanjenny

seanjenny Member

I live in Maple Ridge, BC, and was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase 8 Swedish Trembling Aspen?

Thanks

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Forestfarm offers something they call a Swedish columnar aspen -- Populus tremula 'Erecta' -- here.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The only reason I know to plant this instead of the native is the narrower habit.

5. seanjenny

seanjenny Member

Re: Swedish Columnar Aspen - Where to buy?

Thank you for the replies. Having done a bit more research, it looks like the Swedish columnar aspen might be more suited to the space. Also saw the Carpinus Columnar Hornbeam that might work. I have a narrow garden bed that runs about 30'. Our view is of the side of a vinyl sided house and we are hoping to pretty it up a bit.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pyramidal European Hornbeam produces a broad flame shape as it grows. It is not suitable for narrow spaces. The 'Frans Fontain' cultivar is supposed to remain narrow. These and the others are all real trees, growing large in time. Your situation may instead call for shrubs, or an architectural solution like a trellis or panels.