Appreciation: Survey of Sycamores in the garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, May 16, 2014.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Since Esk Sunset and Corstorphinense have been mentioned recently I thought it would be fun to go around and photograph the various sycamores today. There are a few that I'm evaluating, from my own seedlings, and I couldn't resist including a very pretty seedling from this year, although who knows whether it will live or not!

Here are the sycamores, (with my apologies for using the telephone/camera, still can't find the charger!), A. pseudoplatanus cultivars:

- Sunsplash (eval). Haven't seen bright yellow cutting olive green before.
    - 'Leat's Cottage'. Difficult, a weak plant, quite white leaves here.
    - 'Esk Sunset'. Most pink in summer
    - 'Simon Louis Freres'. Most pink (of the variegates) in spring.
    - 'Nizetti'. Good cream, purple underside.
    - 'Puget Pink'. A diluted cultivar, probably a grex. Short-lived colour, then darkish leaves.
    - 'Miracle Rose'. Pinkest of the spring pinks, very long lasting colour.
    - 'Brilliantissimum'. A grand classic.
    - 'Corstorphinense'. Lights up in spring, long lasting yellow, beautiful in flower.
    - 'Brigada Revolution.' Dark purple undersides, cream tops, spectacular in wind.
    - Souffrettes Variegated (eval). White variegation cut into large leaves.
    - 'Prince Camille de Rohan'. Dark cream with purple undersides leaves a deep pink impression.
    - 'Worley'. Amazing yellow with very little green.
    - Souffrettes Pink (eval). Good deep pink, turning powdery dusted variegation.
    - PZ (eval). Columnar with dark large leaves.
    - Pretty seedling, 2014.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, 'Puget Pink' consists of both at least one clone as well as a group of seedlings. It originated as seed of 'Prinz Handjery', might therefore be thought of merely as a duplication of it, rather than a separate cultivar. Maybe 'Prinz Handjery' Puget Pink Group or even Prinz Handjery Group, with 'Puget Pink' being dropped entirely.

Many more old cultivars in particular will in reality consist of groups of seedlings rather than single clones. For example, you can also plant seeds of Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku' and get numbers of similar seedlings. I know of a specific local example of a nursery having grown and sold such seedlings, as was done with the pink sycamore at Heronswood.