Sunny climber for South facing wall in Oregon

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by portlandrose, Apr 20, 2009.

1. portlandrose

portlandrose Member

I have a large 8 foot wall next to my rose garden that I would like to plant with a climbing evergreen. The area gets about 8 hours of sun which would also be reflected off the wall, so it has to thrive in heat. I considered an evergreen climbing hydrangea, but think the heat is too intense. Also thought about Star Jasmine, but since I have that elsewhere, wondering if I'm missing something. Would prefer some bloom and if I'm not asking too much, a lovely scent too. Suggestions appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The hydrangea is liable to freeze back/out at some point anyway.

As is the star jasmine.

Rosa banksiae comes to mind, also hardiness can sometimes be an issue with that also. Maybe you would be willing to put up a trellis and grow an evergreen clematis on it. Most climbers don't adhere to surfaces anyway, to you'd be liable to need a trellis even without choosing the clematis.

Sometimes the clematis may also be hurt by a cold winter, but I wouldn't expect an established one to die completely. The main problem is the rampant growth, requiring regular pruning and training to end up with an attractive effect - when used to furnish a defined, architectural space rather than grow through a tree.

If there is a planting area available at the top of the wall that opens up multiple possibilities, as anything that would drape down from above could be used.

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

You could train a pyracantha or a cotoneaster up the wall, much like you would train a climbing rose. This would involve mainly pegging or tying the shoots, with a bit of trimming to keep things in bounds, which may vary according to taste. There should be no issue with hardiness. The flowering is not so showy, but then you get a display of berries which may persist right through the winter. Cotoneaster tends to maintain its flawless good looks through the winter, but with pyracantha you sometimes get some nice reddish tones coming into the leaves (which do, however, sometimes start to look a little ratty by spring).

For myself, though, I might save this option for a less optimal spot -- pyracantha would grow on the surface of the moon, I think -- and go for a beautiful climbing rose like 'New Dawn', which hardy here in Maine, so probably in Washington, I would think. You'd give up evergreen leaves, but the drama and fragrance and beauty of the flowers for much of the summer would be pretty good compensation.

Or maybe if there's room, you could do both. And have a clematis twining through the rose. But I'm inclined to excess.

4. portlandrose

portlandrose Member

I appreciate all your suggestions. If I'm honest, I really do prefer the bloom and scent over the stability of an evergreen, I will probably go with a climber rose (New Dawn is beautiful, but I like the color of Sky's the Limit or Soaring Spirits) with a few evergreen shrubs mixed at the lower portion to keep a bit of green over the winter months and leave the rose hips for winter interest. Thanks for making me think this one out. The contributors on this forum never let me down.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many firethorns are actually on the tender side, at least under our conditions. Burned specimens can be seen on some sites after this past winter, which was not the worst we get. You also have to choose carefully to avoid scab susceptibility, and there is also the thorniness of the stems and the odor of the flowers. The fruits can be spectacular, but...

P. coccinea is also actually a weed here. Various Cotoneaster spp. also come up frequently. C. lacteus, perhaps the most likely candidate for fanning out on a wall in this market is blackened by cold winters here.

Rosemary would be a good choice for furnishing spaces around a climbing rose on a hot wall.