Suggestions for my living room

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mossonthemoon, Jan 26, 2012.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Huh, I've always thought of it as the reverse. It's a common boulevard tree here, but has only recently started to move indoors....

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Here in Florida, we're convinced that Schefflera arboricola is a cute little shrub (and very easy to propagate), while the more tree-sized Schefflera actinophylla from Australia or thereabouts is a pest, and generally is no longer sold.

3. mossonthemoon

mossonthemoon Member

Hello, I just wanted to update and say that we are going to wait a few weeks because we had a sudden cold snap and it just doesn't seem right to move any plants right now. We did, however, buy two small prayer plants just before then on a whim. They seem to be settling in fairly well, however I suspect they were over-watered at the shop. I expected to have to top up the water often, but it has been a good few days now (I can't remember, but perhaps four?) and the soil is still moist. A few of the leaves are shrivelled and darkened at the edges. Could this be a sign of over-watering? The other thing that makes me suspicious of this is that the woman told us (after we bought our plants) that she probably killed a large umbrella plant in her shop by watering it too much. So we might not go there again... I think the light our plants is getting is good. It's across the room from our south-facing windows, but as it is winter, it is never direct light reaching them.

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Here's a Schefflera arboricola bonsai at the Heathcote Botanical Garden in Fort Pierce, Florida

I've never figured out overwatering problems with house plants, but did lose an outdoor potted plant recently due to lack of drainage and ponding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Beaucarnea recurvata takes a little patience. I have three that I bought 10 years ago when they were 5" tall. I take meticulous care of them. The tallest has reached 10". a gain of 5" in 10 years or 1/2" per year. At that rate it will take 110 years or so to reach 5'. I would not recommend this plant to anyone who does not have that much time.

6. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Try flowering plants too like Saintpaulia and Streptocarpus. If you want vines you can add Thunbergia alata and Clerodendrum thomsoniae which produce spectacular blooms.