Suggest a Giant Elephant Ear to me

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bullseye, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Am looking to plant one of these for the first time. I have seen pictures of these in people backyards and front lawns, and some have even gone as far as molding the giant leaf into mortar.

I need a type that will grow huge, looking to plant it on my front lawn for conversation piece purpose.

I already inquired about this at a nursery, and they said they should be coming in the next few weeks. Prices range from $16 to $5 for 1 am told.

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but the term "elephant ear" means little to nothing. That term has been applied to members of the genus Alocasia, Xanthosoma, Philodendron, Anthurium, Caladium, and numerous other genera. That would include something between 3000 and possibly as high as 4000 plant species. Almost all are tropical although a few will tolerate temperatures below freezing when they are dormant. If you plan to grow this plant outdoors the first thing you need to isolate is what species from these very large genera can survive in your area. I can tell you very few, if any, of the Philodendron or Anthurium species would make it in Ontario. So that will leave you with trying to isolate species, or hybrids, of Alocasia and Xanthosoma that might. I would suspect there are zero Caladium species that would tolerate your winter. You might try looking at LariAnn Garner's excellent website www.AroidiaResearch.org for a few ideas. But trying to do research with the name "Elephant Ear" is likely to produce such a mi sh-mash of results as to lead you in very wrong, and bad, directions.

3. PaAroidLover

PaAroidLover Member

Alocasia Esculenta is a very common giant form for me here in zone 6b Pennsylvania.

I would not pay more than 2 dollars for one. You may wish to look on eBay, or doo a google search for elephant ears.

Not to promote one grower over another, but I have bought some from Brian's Botanicals before and was completely happy.

I hope this helps.

As PhotoPro has stated the term elephant ear means little or nothing.

I have found common Alocasia Esculenta at my local indian food grocery, I believe I paid 23 cents a pound.

I hope this info helps.

John

4. photopro

Good suggestion with one minor problem, there is no such species as Alocasia esculenta. I believe you were referring to Colocasia esculenta which is a related species commonly known as Black Taro or some similar name. That species is used a food source throughout the Caribbean and much of Polynesia. The only problem is that species is not one of the "giants" as was requested in the original post.

There is a species that grows quite large that is known as Alocasia odora that will grow quite large in a tropical climate and also survives the winters. That one is from China but will go dormant in a cold climate. Here in Arkansas it rarely grows over 4 feet (1.3 meters) in a season if planted out doors but will survive the cold. In my atrium it can reach 12 to 14 feet (over 4 meters) with 4 foot (1.3 meter) leaves. There may be a few Xanthosoma species that will over winter and grow tall in a single season. Those typically are found as the big "balls", or corms, you can buy at local nurseries in colder climates. Most of the major retail stores sell them here during the spring. I've never been able to learn a species name so I suspect they are hybrids. Those might reach 8 feet in a single season. The majority are hybrid varieties but will survive the cold.

Brian would be a good contact since he lives and grows in Kentucky. He has figured out many tropical species that can survive his winters.

5. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Thanks folks. I guess I should have pointed out that am after Colocosia esculenta or Alocasia, whichever one that will give me a giant for the summer only.

I am not looking to winterize it, as they are easy to just start all over again next spring.

Who is this Brian you talk of and where can I find him?

Thx

6. photopro

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I like Loxodonta africana the best.

8. photopro

Great suggestion. Difficult to keep in an atrium, but a really good suggestion and one that deserves the name "Elephant Ear"

9. Michael F

Have to agree with that. Its rooting around can get so aggressive that it might demolish the walls. It also tends to develop a very stout trunk.

10. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

There's also the issue of fertilizer with that one.... and I'd be worried about its agressive nature towards other plants and trees...

11. photopro

Great observation Lorax! I don't think I'll be trying to find a specimen any time soon.

12. Michael F

Not usually considered widely or readily available, but currently the first hit on UK google search has it on special offer:
    Loxodonta Africana
    Find it on eBay for less.
    Feed your passion on eBay.co.uk!
    www.ebay.co.uk

13. lorax

Still, that's bound to be expensive once you factor shipping in....

14. photopro

Lorax, I did a bit of research on the species Loxodonta africana and learned the species is quite capable of producing excess fertilizer. So much, it appears the excess can become quite a problem if deposited in any garden, especially an enclosed atrium. But I'm certain your observation that the shipping cost alone could be prohibitive as would acquiring the federal, state and local permits to possess one.

15. lorax

I had completely disregarded the permits - where I am they would require that the person wishing to obtain that species be either a close personal friend of the president, or the president themselves. I suspect it may be slightly easier to acquire one (and its attendant permits) stateside, since there are established breeders there.

I'd still be quite concerned about the fertilizer, though, as I pointed out in a previous post.

16. photopro

Actually, I photographed one at a private resort on the island of St. Lucia close to 20 years ago. I asked a couple of professional models to stand near it but both refused.

17. lorax

Perhaps it was the smell...

18. photopro

Never thought of that!

19. Michael F

Are you sure of the identity? The somewhat similar E. maximus from Asia is far commoner in private collections. Distinguished by its smaller 'ears', and by the single (not double) apical lobe on the trunk.

20. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Costco has some Colocosia Esculenta at the moment, 4 in a pack, along with glads and other bulbs

21. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

What price are they bullseye?

Ed

22. trikus

trikus Active Member

$Ed $2000 for the airfare and .50c for the bulbs, then the chance of prison when you smuggle them into the country .. heaps of great cultivars already in OZ

23. edleigh7

LOL Mick, good one!!!
    I was just curious to find out what they are paying for them over there... I wouldn't be going there to get a run of the mill Colocasia Esculenta!! : )

Ed

24. photopro

Ed, large corms sell locally for about $5 US each. That is actually very expensive since you can buy them in almost any Florida grocery store for $1 or $2US. Of course, down there they eat them. We just grow them.

25. edleigh7

Thanks mate, USD or AUSD same at the moment I believe!!

Ed