Succulent Garden

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Nicole0426, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Hello,

Is it more challenging to grow multiple succulents together in one pot? I dont have the best luck with succulents but i am wanting to learn how to care for them better! I would like to have multiple in one but is that not suggested for beginners?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Growing succulents as house plants is easy if you give them the right conditions. They need gritty soil that drains quickly, lots of sun and a warm spot. Often they can be easily propagated by rooting a small piece broken from a plant. (cut small stem sections or use leaves in some cases, allow the cut to dry for a few days and then lay the piece on moist soil) They will want lots of warmth and sun in summer, but many will tolerate or benefit from cooler winter temperatures. Give a mild fertilizer in the spring. Clay pots generally work best.

Often they can be arranged closely together in one pot, but some may overgrow the others or some may not perform as well. I have had mixed results with this, but it usually works well and looks nice. You may have to redo the pots every few years to keep them looking their best.

You might buy a selection of inexpensive small succulent plants, or get cuttings from friends. Try propagating from cuttings and then use those plants for your mix, but keep the original plant in a separate pot to grow on. If your summers are warm enough, you may be able to try some cuttings out doors as summer annual planting. If you grow a selection of plants, you will find the ones that work the best for you and gain experience that will help you to grow the more challenging ones later.

3. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Thank you for the info! Which succulents would you say are the easiest to care for?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Schlumbergera are easy and rewarding--they bloom beautifully in winter. It is a vigorous plant that will out grow others, so not good in a mixed pot. I have had good luck with Gasteria, Cactus and Aloe. I like Crassula muscosa. It propagates easily and fills in mixed pots well. Bryophyllum, Kalanchoe, Crassula are fun to grow. Really there are so many. Look for tiny inexpensive starts or pieces from friends and see what grow for you. Then try mixing your propagations in decorative display pots for the summer.

5. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

That is a wonderful idea! Thank you :)