String of Pearls Question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Ceria, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ceria

Ceria New Member

I have a newly acquired string of pearls (a month old) that I am very careful not to over water... but the pearls are starting to shrivel even though the plant is very green. Is this normal? Is it underwatered?? Is this the first sign of a fungal infection??

Sincerely,

-Panicked plant mom

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What's the lighting situation in the room?

3. Ceria

Ceria New Member

It's hung on the windowsill, but it has been overcast for the past few days so I've been hanging it under a desk lamp for a few hours to compensate. Usually it gets quite bright during the day, but only during midday - the window doesn't face the sunrise

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The desk lamp won't do too much, unless it was especially purchased for full spectrum light. This will probably take as much sunlight as you can give it (even cloudy days are good), at least a couple hours per day. This isn't a diagnosis, because it still looks healthy overall, but some plants will drop a portion of their leaves if there is insufficient light to maintain them.

5. Ceria

Ceria New Member

Ok, I'll switch it permanently to the windowsill and see what happens - and my other plan was to water it a little and see if it perks up. I'll keep you posted!

6. Ceria

Ceria New Member

I updated location to be more in the sun, and I watered it via drench. It's looking much better!!

Daniel Mosquin and wcutler like this.
  7. John R

John R New Member

Where did you acquire it? Been trying to find one a long time.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I saw some at David Hunter in Vancouver just a week ago. I got a free tiny start that had fallen into the plant I purchased. They had a few dozen. This plant appears from time to time for sale here at the Shop in the Garden--not sure they have it right now.

John R likes this.
  9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It's usually readily available in the Vancouver area. Check with GardenWorks at Lougheed in Burnaby. It often has a number of varieties of Senecio 'String of' plants.

John R likes this.