Strawberries in PVC pipe?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by bbelknap, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bbelknap

bbelknap Member

Any advice around growing strawberries in horizontal PVC pipe? What size pipe would be best with what sized holes at what intervals? I'm not using hydroponics but rather, organics. Are there issues around "out-gassing" if the pipe heats up in the sun? Thx. BB

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

never really heard of anyone doing it but you might be able to get away with something as small as 2 inch pipe but the plants would probably have to be a good distance apart like a foot or so with bigger pipe you could probably place them closer together than you will need to find out the right soil for them. good luck

3. bbelknap

bbelknap Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got friends who are trying it in 10" sewer pipe (left over from an evicted tenants grow-op!) and the plants are doing well so far. Living on a mountain as we do, soil is at a premium, so I'm interested in maximizing my space. Container gardening seems to make sense but I've not had much success with it.