Strange growth on Plum tree leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sabajean, Jun 19, 2009.

1. sabajean

sabajean Member

Can someone please identify these strange growths on my Plum tree leaves. My tree leaves are infested with this and I think it is killing my tree. I've attached 3 photos. The trees are probably at least 20 years old. We have owned the property 10 years and they were mature when we moved in. We have two trees and they both have this problem, they are right next to each other. The "cottony" stuff you see in the pictures is just cotton from our Cottonwood trees.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. sabajean

sabajean Member

I know...i get the heebie jeebies just looking at them!

4. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

I'm no expert but they remind me of inchworms, or whatever those little green crawlies are called. I found one on my spearmint today, plucked it off. Maybe they're cocooned little guys? That may also explain what looks like webbing I see.

5. Rachel Booker

Rachel Booker New Member

Those are leaf galls. Leaf gall mites snack on the leaves and what you see are the growths the leaves make to try to heal the area. They are ugly buy typically harmless to a tree. I've been told they are self-limiting, since the mites attract their own predators, but my trees have had them for several years running.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.