Stellar Hybrid Dogwood question.

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Fred, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred Member

Hello,

I purchased a Hybrid dogwood last August. Its 10' tall and grew alittle through out the reminder of last season ,it had strong leaves but no flowers, Im assuming it already flowered before I purchased it. I noticed this year that the brances have round small bulbs at some of the ends of the brances while other brances have about an 1/8th length of leaves. I havn't seen any changes in growth in about 2 weeks and believe it may be dead. How can I tell if it is alive or dead. My area is 5 miles north of Boston.

Thanks,
    Fred

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those are this year's flowers, pure Kousa are barely out at all here in USDA 8 so you probably just need to wait a bit there in Boston also.

3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Patience is a virtue, especially in gardening. My Stellar hybrids are just now beginning to leaf out, with Celestial being a bit ahead of the others. I doubt that your tree is dead, but if you want to check, just use the finger nail scratch test to see if there is any green growth below the bark of a limb. The bulb - like growths are probably bloom buds, although in my case it took a number of years for these trees to settle in and begin to bloom. Heres a link you might be interested in:http://agproducts.rutgers.edu