Starting business~~

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Wolvie150, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

I appologize, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but the best I could come up with.

Does anyone have experience with starting a horticulture business aside from the 'basic' of mission statement, operational and financial planning parameters, etc.? I am mainly looking into dealing with taxes for self-employed, grants (esp. free sites, not the ones you pay for knowing the free sites), dealing with finding investors/partners, networking 'theories', or unexpected potential 'bumps' along the way?

I really appreciate any input. This just seems to be the best option for my needs, abilities, and "psyche".

Thanks,
    Wolvie 150

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Watch out for insurance premium fees! They can be a real killer.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, you're in a different country, so hard for me to point out what to look for specific to you. In Canada, both our federal government and provincial government offer various programs to help people establish small-businesses, running the gamut from financing programs to providing resource centres. Your governments should have similar programs.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Be aware of local city or county by-laws and regulations too regarding such ventures.

Cheers, LPN.

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi wolvie--if you haven't read the book "E-Myth", I think it's worth at least a quick skim (this recommendation comes from someone who "never" reads!). Should be in your library, for e.g.

Many of us think our "psyche" is suited for self-employment, and for sure some are. This guy points out the common traps for those of us that leave employment to start our own businesses...something I did 30-some years ago, and he describes me pretty well. Could help you avoid some of the usual pitfalls as well as set up your business much more efficiently.

6. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Just trying to balance a desire for more formal education, OJT, and shooting out on my own. The psyche part I am evaluating a lot, for I'll need someone to assist with people skills that's trainable for plants if I do shoot off on my own.