Spring control of chafer grubs?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by JaneF, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JaneF

JaneF Member

What can be done now, in the Spring, with Chafer Bettle grubs present?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I don't believe that no-one has answered.

The female European Chafer is attracted to stressed lawns where she lays her eggs, in early July.
    The larvae live in the root zone all year, going through the various stages of their life cycle.

You can actually have up to twenty five larvae per square foot of lawn, before there is a problem with them eating the roots and killing the lawn. Mainly it is the racoons and crows that cause the damage.

We need to keep our lawns healthy first of all. Maintain a height of 2 to 2.5 inches so you have healthy roots. Get a mulching blade for your mower and keep it sharp
    Aerate your lawns in the spring and correct the pH so it's close to neutral or a bit below 7.
    Fertilize at label rates with quality slow release products at least three times a year.
    A winter fertilizer is great to get your lawn ready for the next spring.
    Don't over fertilize as that can cause thatch.
    And wait a week to ten days between lime and fertilizing. Lime can deplete the nitrogen in the fertilizer.
    Water deep twice a week.
    I do not recommend power raking the lawn. That will cause stress!

Early in the spring if you notice the lawn being torn up you can rake out the chunks, top dress and overseed.

There are some control methods.

A government entamologist told me that "Sevin" can be sprayed at any-time during the year to control the grubs. Check to see if you have a pesticide ban in your city and
    call a professional licensed pesticide applicator to do this, as you have to wear safety gear.

Another pesticide that is time sensative is "Merit" This is an expensive granular product that is broadcast spread over your lawn in the first or second week of July when the female E. Chafers are laying their eggs. Once again, it should be applied by a licensed applicator.

Then we have nematodes, which of course are non-toxic. I have been told that their effectiveness is minimal. So, I have not used them to control E. Chafers.

Our best bet to control the European Chafer, is to have a long and lush healthy lawn with no stress.
    Too many people cut their lawns super short and then water the heck out of it so it looks green.

The E. Chafer probably came off of a ship going up the Fraser River in New Westminster. 2001 lawns on the north side of the river started getting attacked.

The female can fly up to two "miles" per year. Also, larvae can be transported east into the valley on
    landscapers trucks in their dump loads.

I have not had an update seminar so far this year. I haven't received my normal plethora of upset homeowners needing lawn repairs and control measures.
    As I said, the problem doesn't seem as prevalent so far this year. Perhaps it is all the wet weather. Time will tell