Spring 2014 pics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Don't think this one will take off!!! Re the Kamagata bought these from Packhorse nursery in Derbyshire, had a larger one than this ground planted for 7 years but decided to move it 2 years ago big mistake dead within the year so bought two more to get over the shock!!!!! gutted this was my 2nd ever Acer tree when i first started grown from a 3ltr pot.

2. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I had a look on-line for Packhorse, unfortunately they don't do mail order. It's a nice well grown large specimen, pity they are so far away.
    Has anyone ever used or visited Chris Pattison Nurseries? link http://www.chris-pattison.co.uk/acers.html, they have an extensive range apparantly including larger specimens, it's a bit of a drive, but I was wondering whether to visit.

3. ROEBUK

Jaybee63... Would strongly reccommend a drive up the M1 you will not be dissapointed has varieties there which will blow you away!!!!!! not all is stock is listed,ground grows quite alot of his stock.
    As you sated no mail order and you have to pay by cash but you will come away happy.

When i go i make a day of it, couple of hours browsing selecting chatting, then a nice drive through the Derbyshire peaks and we then stop of for a pub lunch :) on the way home.

Hilton the owner is a really nice guy very knowledgeable and friendly to talk to.

Three huge poly tunnels and two large sheltered enclosures and his field of dreams!!! you will be spoilt for choice. MAKE THE TRIP but take a van:)

4. Jaybee63

I am going to make a point of taking the wife and our son to the peak district, although it will have to wait for now, (pressure of work) little will they know the real reason why. Mind you she may ask questions when I take the Vito van.

5. ROEBUK

Forgot to mention his Brother owns an amazing caravan site next door all mod cons everything you need thats if you have a caravan another option? Best iv'e ever seen.

6. Jaybee63

No caravan unfortunately, we will spend a few days in the area in summer and pay a visit.
    Going to need a bigger garden soon.

7. ROEBUK

Will be down there myself in a few weeks, usually go down spring summer autumn. A couple of new varities i was interested in saw them in early march couldn't make my mind up,said i would come back when they were in leaf. Will take some pics for you of his set up.

8. PonyGirl

PonyGirl Member

Here are some more pretty spring leaf photos from last week. I tried to pick ones that nobody else has posted yet.

1. Will's Divine with Olsen's Frosted Strawberry in the back to the left, Mikazuki to the right, and Oshu Shidare is the red one at the top

2. Shojo no mai - love the wild color on this one

3. Koto no ito and Villa Taranto (which is looking very red this year)

4. Asagi nishiki - look closely to see the med green/light green variegation

5. good old Peaches and Cream

Attached Files:

9. PonyGirl

PonyGirl Member

...and here's a few more. My husband says I have too many trees. Like that could even be possible!

1. Ukigumo - one of my favorites

2. Chitoseyama

3. Tsukushi gata is the red/purple on the left, Koshimino is the feathery green one in the back, Filigree is the green one in the front, Johin is the copper red in the back right, Autumn Moon on the right, and one branch of Amber Ghost is sticking in from the front

4. Manyo no sato - still leafing out so it will develop a much better lime green edge later

5. Summer Gold, with Mikawa Yatsubusa on the left, Tattoo on the right

Attached Files:

10. ROEBUK

Ponygirl... Kindly inform your husband that the words "You have to many trees" does not register with your view of life!!!!! :) There will always be room for just one more "little one" and oh i "don't have one of those" yet.

Joking apart you have a lovely selection of trees, love the Manyo no sato very pretty.
    The Ukigumos presently have five of these, two in the ground seemed to have found good shady spots for those with just enough sun to promote the white.The other three in containers are moved for better effects during the year, just a case of finding the right spot.

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Beautiful maples, Ponygirl. I think Manyo no sato will be very dramatic in the garden landscape. Is it a fast grower for you?

Continuing with the pictures, here are 4 field maples. The field maples vary widely as to when they leaf out, and with our cold weather 'pulverulentum' is just getting going, whereas 'magic spring' is already setting seed. I took these yesterday, 2 May. In all I have 9 varieties of campestre in the garden, but the others (and in some sense 'magic spring' also) are more of interest during the second flush of growth.

- A. campestre 'Carnival'
    - A. campestre 'Magic Spring'
    - A. campestre 'Postelense'
    - A. campestre 'Pulverulentum'

Attached Files:

12. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Oh more lovely pale variegates Emery.I've recently got a lil' 2year 'Pulverulentum',like yours it's just leafing out.Do you have to treat it like 'Ukigumo' to keep the variegation....ie easy on fertiliser and less sun?

13. emery

Houzi, I've found 'pulverulentum' very easy. Mine has been in the ground since '06 and is now a large, spreading shrub. It certainly wants to go out, not up! I give it a little powdered seaweed in early spring, but otherwise don't fertilize (same treatment all maples get). It's in a very shady spot and I think would burn quite easily. As for keeping the variegation, this is one where you have to prune off the all green stems, which it throws frequently. These don't grow any faster than the fully or half variegated stems, so it's easy to keep up with; I just take the stem down to a variegated shoot. I like the half variegated leaves a lot, the green contrasts really nicely with the white.

Here are some more I took day before yesterday:

- A. platanoides 'Drummondii' Very reliable for me, although others report problems. Reversions must be cut out _immediately_.
    - A. rufinerve 'Sunshine' Very pretty but finicky and burns easily. My second try, I'll grow it on quite a bit before putting in ground.
    - A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' A "grand classic", I don't think we've seen a picture yet in this thread.
    - A. shirasawanum 'Keikan zan' Tiny leaves, very elegant. My finger included for sense of scale! :)
    - A. circinatum 'Sunglow'. Another finicky plant, prone to mildew but very pretty. Best for container culture, perhaps.

Attached Files:

14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The Acer shirasawanum 'Keikan zan' is amazing! Very unusual to find a small leaf shirasawanum. I hope it finds its way across the pond, because that is a variety worth owning.

Can you take a picture of a finger in inches, so that here in America, we can better understand the leaf size....ha ha

15. Houzi

Thanks for the advice Emery,it's still in a container as it's tiny presently but this one might end up in the ground as it should be quite happy with my chalky soil.....and yes that shirasawanum is cool, never heard of that one:)

16. Houzi

I wouldn't normally bother showing my 'Bloodgoods' but with such a heavy seed set this year,the overall impression is quite pink though hard to show in photos.
    Also giving 'Taylor' another go....yeah I know!As I can't get hold of a 'Geisha' this will have to fulfil my desire for a pink leafed maple.It does actually hold the plain pink leaves all year but subsequent growth has the acid green variegation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  17. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: 'Keikan zan'

Regarding the leaf size of 'Keikan zan': I believe it has such small leaves because it is actually a cultivar of Acer tenuifolium; which itself is sometimes regarded in the west as a subspecies of A. shirasawanum. (In Japan they seem to see it as a separate species.)

From "Book for Maples", Masayoshi Yano:
    A very beautiful leaf form indeed, and one I would like to add to my collection.

18. ROEBUK

Finally all the trees are safely out just the odd late comer making a last dash!!!
    So now begins six months of observing taking notes and pictures for next year.Who can be moved and who is staying put, more shelter or sun, less shelter or sun etc.
    Hope everyone is happy with the arrivals of new growth and wishing all your trees flourish with colour and health!!!!!

Attached Files:

19. Jaybee63

Nice show Roebuck, and still room for a few more potted specimens!

20. ROEBUK

Jaybee63...What a good idea :) no next items on the agenda are to make a large patio area further down the bottom side of the garden then i can move some of the larger specimen trees where it will be more sheltered for them, also building a semi- meshed area for quite a few of the reticulateds and sun haters. Keep me busy over the summer:(

Cheers Mark

21. emery

Thanks for the additional info Maf. I'm in the city all week and so don't have access to reference materials including Yano's wonderful book.

My 'Keikan zan' came from Esveld and was a bit poorly when I rec'd it. It struggled during its first full year, so last fall I removed the top part which was having bark issues (from the winter, not unusual for plants that come from a greenhouse). Looking at the record I have on this computer, which is not up to date, I see I purchased it in 2011 and overwintered in a cool room, planting in April 2012. In the record here I've marked the condition as "poor" with the comment "not a strong plant" -- as of 9/13 -- so it clearly had a difficult time establishing. In retrospect though it's not unusual for plants that are a bit tricky to take 2 or more years to get their roots under them. It's doing great so far this year.

I pulled a couple more pictures from the farm computer, here are

- A. negundo 'Aureomarginatum', currently looks a lot like the more recent introduction 'Flamingo' but a lot more vigorous. Presumably will become more yellow than pink.
    - A. callipes 'Golden Increase', deep bronzy yellow leaves

-E

P.S. Roebuk great looking yard!

Attached Files: