Spring 2014 pics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Emery the A Pectinatum looks very interesting please post some more pics in the Autumn would like to see how this develops.

Few more pics from the garden: 1) Peaches & Cream very nearly lost this last year planted out in fall 2012 in the wrong spot (to sunny) then had to lift and replant in 35ltr container back end of June 2013. Placed in the front of the workshop now looks very well plenty of shade but still catches the last setting rays of the sun during the evenings.
    2) Ornatum with the sun shining through 3) Skeeters broom should blend well with the creeping euyonamus at the side lovely yellow and white in the summer, the magnolia when leafed up gives plenty of shade.

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Emery - Thank you! I appreciate your feedback on the Japanese Sunrise. My parents lost their Sango Kaku too over this tough Winter. Maybe I will talk my Dad into the Japanese Sunrise, so I can enjoy the tree when I visit. I'm still trying to keep Zen, maybe the forecasted 70F on Sunday will help. A few signs of spring are starting to show up in the garden, maybe buds will break next week...fingers crossed!

ROEBUK- Your maples look wonderful! I can tell you maintain them well.

Yesterday, I checked out my bonsai collection. All evergreens look good, but I did loose a hemlock in a very small pot. All the maples growing as bonsai are free of damage. Happy to report that my Sango Kaku bonsai looks like it will have leaves this weekend. Some of my favorite maple bonsai have very small buds, healthy color, but no real changes since December...I'm feeling sick, but still remain hopeful...time will tell.

3. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Jti,out of curiosity would you say Bonsai are more susceptible to winter damage with their tiny pots and fine roots?...if so I think you and Andrea should congratulate yourselves for every survivor you have :)
    Nice trees Roebuck,have a nice day at Hippomaples....I wish there was a maple nursery near me.Don't know if you buy their smaller plants but if you do,I have a strong feeling you'll be adding to that list ;-)

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yes pot size impacts Winter hardiness. (small=less hardy because they are less resistant to cold invasion that can quickly cool the roots down to that critical temperature that root damage occurs. Always give small pots extra protection; larger pots have more of a core of protection from the whole root zone reaching that critical temperature that root damage occurs. A larger pot will stand a longer period of ambient temperatures at or below the critical temperature before root failure occurs. Where a small pot may suffer root damage all the way through, killing the tree; a large pot may only suffer damage on the outer roots and live to see another day)

A smaller pot tends to dry out much faster too. The smaller the pot, the smaller your margin for error.

The past few years (I have only been doing bonsai since Spring of 2011), I never had any losses. This Winter has opened my eyes to how extreme Winter can be and that it should not be taken lightly. With every loss or damage comes new lessons learned. I will share everything I have learned with the forum once this Winter is behind us.

5. ROEBUK

Houzi-Good weather forecast for to tomorrow so should have a good day out!!!
    Bought lots of young plants over the years from them and can honestly say i have only ever lost one plant a Okushimo but that lasted two years before it decided to expire.
    Seem to recall you were looking at a Tsuri Nishiki this is one from Hippo's around four years ago, lovely soft green leaves with red edging likes the shade though.

Two Havest moons 2011,2012 and finally last pic two Purple ghost's and one Amagi Shigure in the middle all coming on nicely, same year bought all these will be planted out this year, all my young plants i like to give them a couple of years in the pots before planting out.
    When i bring plants home the first time they remain in the medium they were grown in at the nursery, then after the fall they are repotted in the growing medium where they then will be planted the following year so that they don't have a shock to the system.
    Think there will be about 10 plants going in the nursery streach this year!!
    Have around a dozen mature trees in the ground from them also. Bought these when i first started with JM and all were young plants and all have flourished.
    Will take some pics tomorrow and post them later

Attached Files:

6. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Well, I think I have figured out why my Coral Pink seems to be stagnant - have a look at the attached pictures. I noticed the blackening when I was watering today, and I don't recall seeing it a few days ago. All trees have already been sprayed twice with an anti-fungal/bacterial (ie, copper spray), so all I can really do now is keep my fingers crossed...

On a brighter note, these are some pictures I took a couple days ago, before the latest cool-down. Everything seems to be coming along nicely for the most part (please ignore the as-yet cleaned up leaves - that's on the agenda for this weekend!).

Attached Files:

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I'm very happy about this one: it's my scond A. p. 'Tsuma Gaki', the first one vaving not survived the harsh 2011 winter here.

I bought it in August 2013, the poor thing was reduced to 14 €, and I thought I'd try to save it. I put it in a bigger pot without disturbing the roots too much, and added a mix with a high proportion of lava rock (pozzolane +/- 5 mm) .

Now, it seems very healthy. It's one of my favourite cultivars with the yellow green leaves and the luminous red on the tips.

Attached Files:

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very pretty tsuma gaki! I've always wanted that one. :) Here are some more from today:

- A. pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum' just coming out but always good for a pic
    - A. palmatum 'Ariadne' is a lovely accent plant in spring. (Also visible in this pic in leaf LtoR, A. buergerianum ssp subintegrum, A. pseudoplatanus 'Corstorphinense', A. longipes ssp catalpifolium, A. palmatum 'Orangeola' A. buergerianum 'Goshike shidare', A. palmatum 'Fior d'Arancio', A. pseudoplatanus 'Prince Camille de Rohan', A. triflorum, A. pensylvanicum, A. shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium', A. palmatum 'Koto no ito', A. oliverianum ssp formosanum. Good luck picking them all out though! :))
    - A. tschonoskii ssp koreanum (sold as var rubripes but I think that's an illegitimate name). A fabulous maple.

Attached Files:

9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You can't beat 'Tsuma gaki' in the spring, how wonderful it is....

My 'Tsuma gaki' is not yet in full leaf, only the earlies like 'Katsura' and the Himes are fully expressed. Pictures to follow....

10. Aisya

Aisya Member

What beautiful Acers, well done all of you!

I love the Spring for the new life it brings to our Acers, and I love Autumn for Acer color.

The Acers are also very forgiving, during winter I removed branches to create a standard, all leaves had dropped off in the Autumn but its come back stronger than ever.

Attached Files:

11. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

One of my favorites—A. p. Mikawa Yatsubusa—is leafing out.

Attached Files:

12. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Beautiful pics, folks. Please keep them coming! Here are some close-ups from earlier this morning, Easter Sunday.

Suminigashi
    P1020818.JPG P1020819.JPG

Tsuma gaki
    P1020812.JPG

Jordan
    P1020811.JPG

Ed Woods #2
    P1020814.JPG

Shidava Gold
    P1020826.JPG

Chioshio Improved
    P1020827.JPG P1020828.JPG

Koto no ito
    P1020846.jpg P1020847.jpg P1020848.jpg

Happy Easter! Frohe Ostern! Joyeux Pâques!
    Kevin in KC

13. emery

Some more.

A. sterculiaceum ssp thomsonii, interesting coloured new growth
    A. longipes ssp amplum (A. amplum) 'Gold Coin' lights up the garden
    A. platanoides 'Holata', interesting dwarf with very shiny leaves
    A. shirasawanum ssp shirasawanum, the species should be planted more often, a great plant.

Sorry for the sideways orientation on the first 2, didn't realize it until after uploading...

Attached Files:

14. ROEBUK

Two very illuminesent trees at present the bright leaf colours just seem to light up the garden at the moment. Acer SA and Mikawa yatsabusa.

Attached Files:

15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is my new Amigi Shigure in a 12" cedar planter box recovering in the shade from the ride home. They had it under cover at the nursery inside their garage where they store all the heavy equipment, so I'm taking it slow introducing it to the sun. Its a really bad place to take a picture, but its what is best for the tree right now.

The tree needs a little work spreading out the branches, right now it looks like it was smashed in-between larger plants on a long truck ride across the country.

Attached Files:

16. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

That should be a lovely tree in time - definitely has great potential!! If you ever don't want it, let me know ;)

17. ROEBUK

JT1 Wow!!! What a stunning looking tree wish we could find well grown trees like this in the UK, you will have to post pictures of this during the year should look stunning.
    This must be a great tonic for you after the dreadful winter you have experienced in the US

I also have a few new additions from Saturday to my ever growing collection!!

1/ Diss Nigrum... goregeous silver sheen at the moment
    2/ Kasagi yama... beautifully marked leaves will keep this one near my Ariadne's
    3/ Momiji gawa... nicely branched should grow into a good looking tree, new one to the nursery as well so will be interesting to see this develop anyone have any info on this?

Attached Files:

18. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wonderfull ! Cap in hand .
    You are very stirring.
    Have à look at that tool, with hydraulic jack and winch 1000 kg.
    I am growing old ... but excite to work up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  19. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

@ emery. I had a shirasawanum ssp shirasawanum , marvelous !!!
    But a Squirrel toke it as trempolino. During 3 years obstinatly this trapeze-artist broke my tree unfortunatly down to dead...

Without longipes ssp amplum, Acer cappadocicum aureum would be an alternative easy to grow; multiple trunks possible.

Attached Files:

20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

That is so beautiful! I love the color and leaf shape.

maplesandpaws and ROEBUK thank you! It feels so good to have something in Spring color when all the other maples are still waiting to break.

21. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

You folks with all of your new trees are making me SO jealous!! They all look splendid! I've had 2 trees on order at Davidsan's for over two months now.... just trying to find the time to make the 4.5 hour trip over to Springfield, Illinois. I might be able to make it this Saturday (crossing fingers!). I'm going to try my luck with a shirasawanum Aureum and Hogyoku. And depending on how much room I have left in the car (I don't dare take the pick-up!), who knows what will catch my eye??

I'll be sure to take a camera with a full battery!

Kevin in KC

22. ROEBUK

Schattenfreude... The Hogyoku is a absolute must have for any Maple lover!! The beautiful green leaves throughout the summer then the lovely pumpkin orange really stands out well and makes your garden a focal point.

Pictures of mine last fall just starting to turn did get alot more colorful but forgot to take pictures!!!, and at this present time it's just starting to burst out nicely. Good luck with this one (the AS is also nice as well)

Attached Files:

23. ROEBUK

Love the hydraulic jack would be able to use that no problem, please see my high tech moving device:) basic but it drags anything. The dissectum in the container is in excess of 90kg far to heavy to lift by yourself but can be dragged easily plus i don't break any of the branches with not having to try and reach the handles.
    Must admit things i could lift 15 years ago i have to think about and plan now :)

Time and Tide waits for no man live for today and buy more Acers and enjoy !!!

Attached Files:

24. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The leaves in the third picture are amazing! The shading of colors are almost too perfect to be real. Thanks for sharing!

25. emery

Hogyoku is a wonderful old cultivar, I would put it very high on the list for any garden. Yours is looking great, Roebuk!

Indeed, the chariot is fantastic. Without our tools where would we be? :) (Wealthier and with happier spouses, perhaps!)

@opusoculi, cappidocicum 'Aureum' is marvelous, it shows how much more advanced things are in the 33... Mine are just beginning, with the regular cappidocicum a little more along. I do find 'Gold Coin' very unique, though.

Here is one for today, A. callipes 'Honeydew'

Attached Files: