Speaking of Giant Sequoias

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by dirt reaper, Apr 22, 2008.

1. dirt reaper

dirt reaper Member

Pacific Northwest - Washington State, USA
    Yes, the bent trunk tree in the background is a cedar. The trees are located near Hood Canal, Washington. I would also agree that water should not be a problem. In some areas they are planted pretty close together. I am not sure if I should thin at some point or not.

2. norain

norain Member

hood canal cool .we are going to port orchard to visit friends this summer. I wouldn't thin , the sequoias will just take over some day ,you wont see it .lolo
    unless you have a very small tree being over shaded by some thing huge and never getting proper light at any point in the day. I hope you figure out and post what you think the reason for losing trees are. I found they sure don't like fertilizer I use manure early spring ring it like a fruit tree and have flipped the odd dog turd at them seems to work for me .yours are large enough you shouldn't be losing them now. try some of the growers on the net in northern California they may have tips for you . a few have web sites and you can e mail them . they are very good at answering e mails.

3. norain

norain Member

mine are slowly coming along too .today I'm germinating a 150 or so more giant sequoias . I'm always trying different stuff .some I soak in water in a zip lock baggy some I put in wet soil in a card board egg carton just cut the chambers off and stick in pots not disturbing the roots they can drill through the wet cardboard .

4. norain

norain Member

awesome glad someone else loves the trees as much as I do ! good pics thanks for sharing .

5. fredmcain

fredmcain Member

Does anybody know of a source for the so-called "Hazel Smith" strain of giant Sequoia? I have tried Googling and searching on the web and I am not able to turn up anything. I have had a few false leads. There are a few nurseries who advertise it but then when I actually tried to contact them, turns out they don't have it afterall. Any ideas?

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain,
    Topeka, IN

6. norain

norain Member

That's normal just becareful not to love them to death at this stage its tempting to fertilize [just water ] or a teaspoon of compost/potting soil at most . what they are doing is building roots at this time . they will seem dormant for about a yr at some point put in a larger pot 6" inch top being careful not to knock the soil off of roots . they will take off again and you will be excited to see them get new growth at the end of its branches and top . Depends on sunlight/water but second yr they start growing after transplanting into ground . yr 3 they should be shoulder height 10/12 yrs they should be like 20 /35 ft high its different in places depending on your weather

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  7. fredmcain

fredmcain Member

norain,

That is interesting information. As I posted earlier, I have been trying to find the "Hazel Smith" strain. But if I cannot find seedlings, maybe I CAN find seeds! I would've assumed that I'd NEVER be able to germinate them but you're making it sound like it is doable. Maybe I'll try it!

Regards,
    Fred M. cain

8. norain

norain Member

Anything is do able .lol I always start my sequoia seeds in egg cartons the card board holds water . Also you can cut the carton chambers and plant in a larger pot not disturbing the tiny roots . ive even froze the seeds in ice cubes and plunked into soil let them melt and push soil around with a chop stick . lots of things to try a little ground egg shell is good too

9. fredmcain

fredmcain Member

norain,

How long does it take them to germinate?

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain

10. norain

norain Member

in about 4 days they will push up from dirt and grow a inch tall over nite .then they do nothing for weeks just water I use a store cow manure soil ... no weeds to get near the fragile roots . I barely push the seed into the loose soil I use a chop stick . Remember thousands of seeds fall ontop the ground in the wild from a tree .

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017