Southern Coastal California

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by castinkers, Mar 15, 2013.

1. castinkers

castinkers New Member

This plant didn't have anything blossoming to photo, but it has these small green spiky balls that had a bud beginning on the end. syc_59_1.jpg syc_59_1'1.jpg syc_59_1'2.jpg

This plant looked just like this, not many comments. Found it all over in the back country. syc_59_2.jpg syc_59_2'1.jpg

This was all over the ground. It never grew up and was often the ground was covered both with this and poison oak. syc_59_25m_g.cover.jpg

This plant had very very small white flowers. Not very many to photo but hopefully you can get the idea from these pictures. euc_9_25m_1.jpg euc_9_25m_1'1.jpg euc_9_25m_1'2.jpg euc_9_25m_1'3.jpg

This plant had waxy like leaves. I tried to get a close up and then a picture as a whole. syc_60_25m_2.jpg syc_60_25m_2'1.jpg
    syc_60_25m_2'2.jpg

are these blueberries?! This was growing up and kind of made a 'wall' My study is one shrubs. Would you categorize this as a shrub or more of a vine? syc_61_25m_1.jpg

2. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Ribes californicum or related species
    Ageratina adenophora
    Delairea odorata (if thin-stemmed and without specialized tendrils. If thicker stemmed and with tightly curled tendrils, Marah sp., but looks more like Delairea to me.)
    Eriophyllum confertiflorum
    Eucrypta chrysanthemifolia
    don't know
    Hedera sp.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

castinkers, do you have a macro function on your camera? If so, you might use it for those close-ups of flowers and get clearer photos. David in LA impresses me with his ability to identify even if they are not the sharpest photos.

4. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

#6. Possibly garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata?

You can force the camera to focus on the object you are trying to photograph by putting your hand or a sheet of paper behind it and focusing on that; this prevents the camera from focusing on the background instead of the object in the foreground.

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Alliaria petiolata isn't known to occur in California.