Source for Prunus nigra?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sgbotsford, Feb 6, 2015.

1. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

I'm looking for wild plum. I talked to someone who had seen these in southern Alberta. He told me that deer not only liked to eat the plums, but they would browse somewhat on the twigs, and that they formed thickets that made good layup places during the day. Of course at that point it was of interest only; I didn't know that I'd want a few.

The problem: I need to find a stand that has not been corrupted by having a domestic plum nearby. So I need a spot in the middle of the range, far from any homestead that may have had domestic plums. Wild plums are the best pollenizer for the hybrid commercial plums, but I have not yet found a supplier.

It actually does have plums. They are about the size of an olive, red, with yellow flesh. The skin is often bitter, but the rest of the plum is quite flavourful. While it can grow to a tree, most of the time it's a shrub, 4-12 feet tall. The branches are very stiff, and it has prominent thorns. Moving through a thicket is painful, unless wearing biker leathers.

In fall the leaves go dark red.

It's the kind of plant I'd expect to find in coulee bottoms.

Has anyone spotted this tree?

OR

Does someone know a nursery, preferably one on the prairie, that grows and sells known P. nigra plums?