Identification: Something is eating the veggies

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by ConnieThompson, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ConnieThompson

ConnieThompson Member

This is a new, raised garden bed. Plants are growing very nicely for the most part, but all the cauliflower, broccoli, radishes, spinach, potatoes, squash and beets are being chewed up by something. There is no evidence of slugs in the beds, and the beds are raised about two feet above the ground so the slugs would really have to work to get up there. I have noticed a lot of little ants, but not sure they eat the veggie leaves. The beets are particularly troubled-as you can see by the photo. Hoping there may be some ideas so I can work on ridding the garden of the hole chewing pests.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      218.8 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      130.2 KB
      Views:
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Lots of pests can make holes in leaves, but slugs (or snails) are most likely. Climbing a two foot wall is no challenge for a slug and even less of a challenge for snails - they regularly climb six feet up my Rhododendrons. During the recent hot, dry weather, slugs and snails will hide out of sight during the day; so you're not likely to see them.

3. ConnieThompson

ConnieThompson Member

I do not think it is slugs/snails though-there are absolutely no slug trails anywhere-nothing on the leaves, the soil, the edges of the boxes, and they eat my flowers enough that I have seen what slug damage looks like. Whatever is eating all the holes in my veggies appears to be something else-there are a lot of ants around, not sure if they do this sort of thing, and I am going to hunt for earwigs as I understand they might be a culprit.