soil vs. manure

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by nichelle, Mar 2, 2009.

1. nichelle

nichelle Active Member 10 Years

I have euphorbias and ferns growing under a huge cedar tree. Several times a year, I clear away all the debris that falls from the tree - but now it looks like there isn't much soil left. Should I add topsoil or manure to replenish the soil?

Thanks,

Michelle

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wood chips might be good.

3. greengarden bev

greengarden bev Active Member

The "debris" that falls from the tree is actually Nature's way of making mulch and, eventually, humus and soil that will sustain the plants. I surely wouldn't clear it away. Let it stay there, decompose, and do what it is supposed to do. You could put mulch on top to improve the look.

I wouldn't put uncomposted manure on the area. You'll be introducing weed seeds. If it is fresh manure, you run the risk of "burning" your plants. Fresh stuff can be pretty powerful.

I would think twice about putting compost on, as well. The biological activity in forest soils (i.e. under trees) tends to be fungus based, not bacterial. Compost is bacterial. Best not to mess with with the microherd.

4. nichelle

nichelle Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm worried that the build-up of debris will eventually suffocate the plants and encourage weevils (which have been a problem in that bed). But, in the meantime, I'll let it be.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The weevils I think are encouraged by the presence of the top of the tree rather than the ground litter. They also tend to be worse under building overhangs.

6. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Maybe the best solution for the esthetics and the health of your "setting" might be to compost the mulch in a separate area of your yard and add same back in after each clean up? It could take a season to get this going but after that it's pretty much self perpetuating.

Bob