Snake plant help?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Chungii V, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Okay,
    I have an Amorphophallus and I came across a link to the Int. Aroid Society in another post and noticed they have a write up on the plant.
    When I found the plant it had been dumped out the back of a Nursery and was re-shooting. After careful extraction and claiming as a dumped plant I took it home. I did not get too much info on the plant except that there are just a couple of species, which I now find out is totally wrong. Can anyone help me i.d. this plant so I can get some more information on it? Also what stage is the plant at, I can't figure out if it's flowering or what? The tuber was bigger than my fist and each year it shoots and opens to what looks like a single leaf, very much like the little surrounding ones.
    Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

A. konjac comes to mind, given the rounded tuber you're describing, but doesn't seem quite right... - have you ever seen in bloom? Or does it just shoot up that big leaf? (normal behaviour for an immature Amorpho, btw - when it's mature, it will follow that one big leaf with one big inflorescence) It will become easier to ID it once it blooms.

Chungii, are you a member of the Aroid-L discussion group? If you're not, I'd suggest you join - the link is on the IAS website. They will definitely know which Amorphophallus this is, or at least can point you in the right direction.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

No it's never flowered but after seeing some of the flowers on the IAS I can't wait.
    I guess it's time to join another plant forum :}
    Thank you Lorax.

4. trikus

trikus Active Member

It is Am bulbifer , and prob. grown from one of the hundreds of tubers formed on the leaf of a mature plant , or even a seedling from the thousands of seeds that set everytime it flowers . If ever a plant deserves to be classified as a weed this sp. does ! And I love Aroids .. I find it ridiculous that it is still listed on ebay as a "rare" !!!!!!! plant , and people will pay $50 for what I used to feed to the pig . It will grow in full sun and get a leaf up to 1m ++ high .

5. trikus

trikus Active Member

2 years growth in the ground will mature it enough to flower . here is some of the 30 + leaf tubers from a flowering sized plant I had last year ,

Attached Files:

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

That looks like it. I have seen those on the leaf before and thought they may have been tubers (I think I did plant some last year but I can't remember where). Never seen it flower though, it can't be far off I've had it in ground at least 3 years. Are they decent flowers?
    As for what people will pay on ebay - it seems all you need is the word "rare" in front of a name and it's worth 10 x more than at your regular garden centre.