Identification: Small white bugs living in soil

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Cheftrev, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Cheftrev

Cheftrev New Member

I have recently noticed these very small light colored bugs living in my soil. They seem to get agitated when I have been thinning out my vegetables. There is ALOT of them and they move quickly. I sprayed some Safer's soap on the underside of the leaves and on the soil today. Can anyone tell me if this is something to worry about? I would attach a picture of them, but they are so small I would need a special camera to see them!

2. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

more info please....are they thin, worm like, or do they fly? i usually use a jewellers loop to take pictures of the small stuff, sometimes it works. i use Einstein oil on most of the plants and soil. is it possible that these bugs are in the larva stage? check to see if there are any adult bugs near by....sorry i couldn't be of more help...good luck

3. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i have just been visiting friends, and have found small white bugs in their garden, in the soil and at the base of the plants. these are thrips larva in soil and at base. the adults can usually be found on back sides of leaves in the veins. they are just as small and hard to see ,about 1/2 -1 mm in length. if you use a loop/magnifying glass you can see them better. they don't move around much, which makes them hard to see, so i run my nail softly along vein to see if anything moves. ( garden tape works too, wont harm plant but will pull off any insects for examination)
    there are many kinds of bug killer available,some work on most plants but can harm others. (Einstein oil is harmful to cacti, and some veggies) go to the local nursery, and ask for a thrip/thripid killer for your specific needs.