In The Garden: Small Tree or Large Shrub

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Shirley, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Shirley

Shirley Member

I am trying to I.D. a small tree or large Shrub which is growing on a friend's property. I visited in early May and the Tree/Shrub was in bloom. I estimate the tree/shrub is 12 feet tall and 18 feet wide. The property where it grows is near the ocean in Powell River. The leaves are light green with greyish undersides and have a light, white mid vein. They are about 2 inches or 5 1/2 cm. long on average with slanted widely spaced veins. The leaves are borne on alternate branchlets with 4 leaves on each branchlet.
    The flowers are small, yellow with four petals and are trumpet shaped borne on short stems. The four petals form a square opening which has 4 reddish anthers in the corners of the square. From 6 to 16 flowers grow together in a cluster. The bark of the tree on the branches is light warm brown, greyish when dry. Alternate greyish branchlets carry both leaves and flowers on the branches. My friend would like to know what this tree/shrub is if anyone recognizes the pictures attached.
    Thank you very much for your assistance with this tree/shrub I. D.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Looks like an Elaeagnus, probably umbellata based on size alone. AKA Autumn Olive (though not an olive at all), Japanese Silverberry....edible fruit, though unless a cultivated variety, it's mostly pit with little flesh. Berries are covered in tiny silver spots, and look nice on the bush.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014