Identification: Small Orangish Bolete with Bulbous Base

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Phishfinder, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Phishfinder

Phishfinder Member

Found in low lying/swampy mixed conifers, again dominated by cedar,spruce and Balsam fir. Growing out of thick deep moss with VERY occasional hardwoods. Caps are max 3" (but I feel these JUST came up) and most were very small. Orangish cap with olive brown pores and orangish yellow flesh not staining and a pleasant smell. Found nearby Suillus Lakei, Lactarius Thyinos, Lactarius Deliciosus.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you for the good photos, descriptions of appearance, and for noting the habitat.
    I've not had a chance to try to key this out in North American Boletes, but wow there are just so many boletes, and I've found many of them hard to key out.
    The cap underside colour I expect will be the best character for eliminating possibilities.
    cheers
    frog

3. Phishfinder

Phishfinder Member

Thanks Frog. Seems to have a distinctive smell as well.... can't quite put a finger on it though.

I have limited access to "keys" and the ones I have don't have anything with that pore colour.... so I agree this would be a good factor to help decide. I'm hoping to pick up "North American Boletes" in the near future and will give it a shot for sure.

Thank You for chiming in. :)