Small Cactus and Succulent Identification

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by hydroxide, Jul 31, 2009.

1. hydroxide

hydroxide Member

About 4 weeks ago, while on vacation, I purchased a small cactus and succulent. I would put the cactus at about 2" tall and the succulent at 3" tall. I have no idea what these plants are and I'm afraid I may be under or over watering them. Already, some of the thorns on the cactus seem to have turned very brown (previously they were white) and the succulent seems to be drying out (one leaf even has a big brown spot on it). Can anyone identify these plants or advise me as to how to take care of them? I currently have them inside sitting on a windowsill and watering about once a week, the succulent gets twice as much as the cactus. Thanks :)

Edit: It appears that the succulent may be a Crassula Argentea, can anyone confirm this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the spikey (cactus) is in the mammilaria family - probably mamm. elongata.

the other is in the crassula family - one of the numerous 'jade' plants.

both do well in full sun and both need very well draining soil medium. for the mamm, i use a mix of small stones/gravel and a touch of regular soil or peat. for the jade, i use a mix of cactus soil (which has bark bits, peat, perlite) and i add in extra bits of perlite/gravel/bits of bark pieces to enhance the drainage.

the cacti doesn't need much water at all - once a month or so and in winter, you can let it go for 6-8 weeks until giving it just a touch. the jade should be watered thoroughly and then allowed to dry out a bit (not completely) before watering again.

both will do fine potted in plastic containers as you have them...that will retain some moisture longer, so, be aware that you may have to allow a bit more time (for a good drying out) before watering again. they'd both do better in unglazed clay - and you can still insert them inside the pretty ceramic pieces :) (i do that all the time)

3. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Listen to Jocyln...she knows her stuff on how to care for plants! :D

I think the first one is a Peanut Cactus. I don't know which is its current botanical name, but you could try Googling Chamaecereus silvestrii, Chamaelobivia, Echinopsis chamaecereus...and you'll find more!

The 2nd one is a Crassula ovata (C. argentea is an old name-now considered a synonym).

4. hydroxide

hydroxide Member

Thanks a bunch for the advice joclyn! As for water, I am giving each about a small shot glass of water, is that alright? And soil-wise, will they suffer if I just leave them in the soil that they are in now? (regular indoor potting soil; bit of peat moss and wood bark, etc.). I looked up the jade and apparently it can grow quite large, not sure about the cactus, can I leave them in a small pot to try and prevent them from getting too big?

@Rosemarie: Yes, it is indeed a peanut cactus! Thanks, I have been searching for a while and couldn't figure out exactly what it was.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

thanks for the compliment, rosemarie!! i've learned from the best, though, so i can't take all the credit!! ;)

i wasn't quite sure it was a mamm - spines seemed a little off as well as shape...

i'm surprised at peanut though!!! doesn't look like either peanut cactus i have...their shape is more rounded on the bottom part. the pups do look the about the same though.

the current soil you have - which is almost identical to the basic 'cactus mix' that you find in the stores - is just about perfect for the jade. for the cactus, it'll do for now. i'd repot it next spring in something with less plant matter. that's a desert cactus and the bark and peat can cause problems, in the long term, as they hold more moisture that the desert cacti really like. let that one get really dry before watering. really doesn't need watering more than once a month - and that amount is fine.

for something like a schlumbergia (christmas cactus) or any of the rhipsalis, that mix would be ideal. those types are jungle cacti and can deal with/like more moisture.

the jade, i'd give a bit more water - get all the soil in the container completely moistened and then let it dry out - water thoroughly again when the soil is dry down an inch or so. yes, they can get large! they're not particularly fast-growing though - especially when they're kept inside. the more sun you can give it, the more quickly it'll grow.

6. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

The Jade plant in my house looks as artful as a bonsai. It grows in the same container for years. Now it has a large stubby trunk with small branching leaves. It also sends flowers occasionally. Very easy to grow!