Sloped back yard

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by glamourpuss, Sep 24, 2008.

1. glamourpuss

glamourpuss Member

I have a terraced sloped backyard with very good drainage. I have to water the upper portions almost daily in the summer to keep what plants I have so far, moist. This is a really unfinished yard and I am looking to find some shrub suggestions that will grow well at the top of my slope as back drop along my fenceline. This is a full sun backyard. I plan to upload a photo once I figure out how. Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe you need to mulch your new planting to shade the soil and reduce water needs. If you planted them with intact potting soil rootballs that could also be a big part of the problem, the finer-textured natural soil around them having a greater attraction for water than the coarse potting soil. It's better to wash the potting soil off at planting time, and spread the roots out in direct contact with the existing soil. You want the same soil texture throughout the rooting area, so that water moves evenly through the whole area, rather than being wicked away from rootballs or collecting in the bottom of planting holes (when amended planting holes are dug out of damp, heavy soil).

See second fact sheet in list for modern planting directions.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Fact sheets.html

3. glamourpuss

glamourpuss Member

Thank you for the information I will look at it tonight. As you can see from the photos we have come a little ways but still have a lot to do. We are looking for any suggestions to help us out with the back bank by the fence especially but any thoughts would be certainly appreciated. This is our first house and we are obviously just greening our thumbs.

We have an Autrian Pine (back left), a spruce front left ( not in pic ), purple spruce lower center, Golden locust center and the giant sequoia back right. The sun flowers were an education for our 2 yr old daughter. We would like to fill in the hole and have a lush back yard to look at.

I finally attached the photos, I was a bit too quick on closing the window on the upload.

Thanks to all suggestions in advance. house august 2006 004.jpg

summer and fall 2008 032.jpg

summer and fall 2008 034.jpg

4. design share

design share Member

Attached Files:

• 1009.jpg
      1009.jpg
      File size:
      122.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  5. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

You have a wonderfull space to work with. If you researched sun loving drought tolerant plants on the web you will find a "bunch" of really good suggestions. You should consider a Weeping Atlas Cedar or a Sequoia Giganteum Pendula (Dr. Seuss Tree) that would be fun for the space and provide a focal point.

6. design share

design share Member

other ideas

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      137.2 KB
      Views: