Identification: Slime mold: grows within 24 hours at 40-60% humidity or stagnant tap water

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Jann Godspeed, May 26, 2018.

1. Jann Godspeed

Jann Godspeed New Member

Hi I've been having a peculiar mold problem and after days of research online I can't find another sample that looks like it.

This one showed up in my dehumidifier after 12 hours of running
    6h2h2Mp.jpg

This one showed up 24 hours after taking a shower
    VslWqym.jpg

This grew in a glass of tap water I left out for 2 days to see what would happen.
    sYShBWR.jpg

Color: Yellow/green with black specks

Texture: Slimy almost feels like mucus

Area: San Jose, California near this areaGoogle Maps

Other info:
    I've also reached out to my neighbors as well and they say they have had the same problem starting from Nov 2017 but never before.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't think that slime molds grow in water. This looks more like a mat of various bacteria and/or fungi that grows in stagnant water containing some nutrients. The species would be impossible to identify without DNA analysis.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Jann, I agree with Vitog - not a slime mold (myxomycete), and there are various possible organism combinations. Perhaps reaching out to either your local government or to a local university, to report these recent area changes and to see if they are already aware of this?