Simone Grape

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by mgs10, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mgs10

mgs10 Member

Can anyone direct me to some online info for the "simone" grape. I bought it last year from a local nursery but have not been able to find any info regarding this grape vine

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

All I can find on "Simone" is that it is a black vinifera table grape originating in Canada, however it is not listed on any of my Canadian sources, nor on FPS California. The vinifera + originating in Canada strikes me as contradictory. There are references to it being tested for survivability and yield in the US midwest, but no results published. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Ralph

3. Sohanev Eugeny

Sohanev Eugeny Member

Hello,
    [A. Gaylyunas, Lithuania]
    Simone - a universal sort of grape, a very early ripening - 95-100 days. In a city of Novocherkassk matures July 20-25. Bushes trimmed very big force growth. Small bunches, 120-190 g, tapered, medium-density and loose. Berries average, mass 2,1-2,8 g, round, dark purple. Pulp some irritation, with a slight taste izabelnym aroma. Peel tight. Soc poorly painted. 16-18% sugar, acidity 4-5 g / l. Shoots latent very well. Compatibility with podvoyami good. Productive shoots 80-85%, the number of bunches to escape 1,4-1,9. Load 30-35 bush eyes, cutting vines on the eye 3-4. Frost resistance -25 ° C. Grape variety Simone resistant to frost, mildew, brown and grey rot. Transportabelnost good. Simone is suitable for use in fresh and cooking wine. Tasting fresh grapes 6.7 rating points. Sort recommended for besedochnoy culture.
    For those who know the Russian language look excellent guide to varieties of grape: http://vine.com.ua/sorta/yniversalnye/simone.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. mgs10

mgs10 Member

Thanks for all the great info... if possible please explain/expand a bit further the following:

"Pulp some irritation, with a slight taste izabelnym aroma"...?
    "Soc poorly painted"...?
    "Compatibility with podvoyami good"...?
    "Sort recommended for besedochnoy culture"...?

Kind regards, Myles

5. Sohanev Eugeny

Sohanev Eugeny Member

Sorry for my bad English.
    Pulp mucous, taste with easy labrusca aroma. Juice is painted poorly. Good compatibility with rootstock . A grade recommended for an arch (on a grape arbor).

Kind regards, Eugeny.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Simone (aka Sovereign Charter) originated at the Summerland Research Station. Its a nice grape especially for the coast. It was in a trial plot on Vancouver Island and was one of the better table grape cultivars for the coastal area. Hope this helps.

7. Ralph Walton

Ahh! "...aka Sovereign Charter...". That is held at the CFIA Center for plant health in Sydney. I don't have it but that name should make it much easier to find.

Ralph

8. Sohanev Eugeny

Sohanev Eugeny Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  9. northerngrapes

Ralph; I had it up in a test plot in Kelowna. It's actually a really nice table grape
    especially for the lower mainland/coast. I like it it better than Coronation.
    Cheers

10. Ralph Walton

11. northerngrapes

Ralph; Simone is similar in appearance to Coronation Seedless. The flavors are a little different than Coronation though less of a labrusca flavor. Other nice grapes from the Summerland series are Sooke and Skookum. The table grapes from Summerland are great cool climate table grapes.