Silver Dollar Tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by phss286, Mar 15, 2004.

1. phss286

phss286 Member

Hello, when i was a kid (eons ago), we had a tree in our yard my dad called a Silver Dollar Tree because it had white flowers about the size of a silver dollar.
    They looked like they were made out of silk and were so thin you could almost see through them. When I tried to find it on the net, the only thing thing that came up under Silver Dollar Tree was a plant called "Eucalyptus Cinera" or "Argyle Apple" which was not close to what I was looking for. If someone could give the real name for this tree (or shrub) I would really appreciate it. Thanks Pat

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Try money tree they grow great outdoors in N.C S.C

3. blazerbrads

blazerbrads Member

I think I know

Hello, its called a money plant Lunaria Annua I had some growing at my parents house, in oregon! I liked them too. I found several places that sell them on the web.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, but Lunaria annua isn't a tree - it's an annual (although I agree it's very interesting).

I think what the original poster is asking shows one of the problem with common names - you can come up with any sort of common name for a plant, but that doesn't mean that anyone else will know what you mean.

I looked up "money tree" that was also suggested, and came up with Pachira aquatica aka Bombax glabra, which also doesn't match the original description of the plant.

More information is needed - what sort of fruit did it have, where in the world was this, did it seem like the tree was planted where it was (i.e., was it cultivated) or was it a native tree, did it lose its leaves, was it a "climbing tree" or did it have one central upright trunk... and so on. Even with all that, there's no guarantee of being able to identify it, but we might be able to make a better guess.

5. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

I agree with you Daniel.
    but I'm board so i'll take a stab
    Check out Eucalyptus polyanthemos aka red box, aka red gum,Silver dollar gum, silver dollar tree.
    This answer looks like a good support for what Daniel said above!

6. murielmail

murielmail Member

Pat, I think you are looking for the same plant that I have been trying to find. It is an annual or perannial that is common in the woods in the northwest. I remember from my childhood in the early fall or late summer finding these on our nature walks. They are about knee high with dry grassy like stems holding shiny round flat bloom? the size of silver dollars, an arrangement of 6 to 8 on a stem, paper thin. Judging by the pictures, it is not a Lunana Annua as suggested by another reply. Am I right? Murielmail