Sick Plum Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Ann H., Aug 27, 2003.

1. Ann H.

Ann H. Member

We have a small plum tree planted in an East facing backyard on the Westside of Vancouver. It is not very healthy looking and I am wondering what is wrong with it? See attached photos of leaves.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

from the pictures I would say a bit of possible caterpilllar damage (the larger holes and missing areas at the leaf margin). Some of the holes and brown spots are most likely shot hole fungus which is very common in the late pring through early summer when weather can be damp and warm. For the curling and drying of the leaf I would probably attribute it to heat stress and try not to worry too much. When watering (when you are allowed of course) make sure to water deeply, periodically, rather than shallow and often. This helps create a deep wide root system that can help to withstand heat stressing and dehydration in times of low moisture. If you see some caterpillars, try using some Btk spray, its pretty low impact to anything but caterpillars and can be applied any time they are present. For the shot hole fungus you can use a fungicide product when appropriate but to be honest I wouldn't really bother, let it run its course and leave it alone, it won't kill your tree any time soon.

3. Joan

Joan Active Member

General attention to the health of the plant through care in winter by correct pruning with possible dormant oil spray in early February to mitiate damage from overwintering bugs might be considered..we like to think our bird population will do most of the work on caterpillars in the growing season! Next year may be the start of boutiful crops!