shy rose bush

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by foxfire, Jun 23, 2008.

1. foxfire

foxfire Member

I recently purchased a new home and there was a rose bush in a huge pot in the back yard. I started watering and feeding it and it came to life this summer. However I have not seen any buds as of yet. My mother says it will bloom in the summer. But it is mid summer and nothing. All of the neighbors rosebushes are blooming beautifully. Any advice?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Depends on what kind it is.

3. foxfire

foxfire Member

i found a tag near it. It says "Rose Hybrid Tea" "Double delight"

4. Ron B

Sounds like you are growing the rootstock it was grafted onto, the hybrid tea having died or dwindled down to a few branches that have been overwhelmed by the rootstock. Look up photos of 'Dr. Huey' to see if the leaves and branches look the same as those of your plant.

5. foxfire

foxfire Member

I don't think I'm seasoned enough in roses to be able to tell the difference. I looked up images an it looks similar but it also looks like most other rose bush stems. Once again there are no blooms so I cant tell. Do you think it will eventually bloom or should I just throw it. Its big!!

6. foxfire

foxfire Member

here is pic.It is above the top of the windows now and climbing along the wall

Attached Files:

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

well, it's only just become summer...so if this is a mid-season bloomer, you've got some time yet for it to bud up.

if it's been neglected, then it will probably need a year of good care before it will set any blooms.

8. Ron B

Continues to appear you are growing 'Dr Huey'. It's definitely not Double Delight. Due to frequent use of 'Dr Huey' for rootstock with roses sold here and apparently frequent failures of plants grafted onto it 'Dr Huey' is very common where I live - I would toss it if it were mine.