Shrub, little succulent leaves, purple stems

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Nov 29, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was so taken with this plant last year that I can't believe I didn't come up with a name, but if I did, I can't remember it now that I'm seeing it again. Fat little leaves, less than 2cm, arranged opposite, decussate, but the plant is particularly striking when the stems show off a distichous arrangement, though I'm not certain that they always do that. The last photo is from a different location, last year.
    LittleSucculentLeaves-PurpleStems_AloheaWela-Honolulu_Cutler_20151128_093837.jpg LittleSucculentLeaves-PurpleStems_AloheaWela-Honolulu_Cutler_20151128_093840.jpg LittleSucculentLeaves-PurpleStems_AloheaWela-Honolulu_Cutler_20151128_093850.jpg LittleSucculentLeaves-PurpleStems_CampbellDuval-Honolulu_Cutler_20150117_084423.jpg

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. wcutler

Wonderful - thank you. I see some common names: elephant bush, dwarf jade plant, porkbush. Plantzafrica says "It has now been shown to be effective in carbon sequestration (binding atmospheric carbon which is responsible for climate change)...". Actually, that whole page is pretty interesting.

4. wcutler

I'm adding a photo (different location) showing that the secondary branching is decussate, so the main branching is sometimes in a flat plane, but after that, everything is at right angles.
    Portulacaria-afra_McCullyDate_Cutler_20151130_160354.jpg